Texas Nilgai

You did'nt happened to hunt with a Ranch manager .I can't remember his name. But he's been there about 25 yrs.
You would have stayed in Green Cabins. This is a family run ranch. This Ranch borders the King ranch.

Do not believe it was the ranch you mentioned, we stayed in Raymondville. Going to the King shortly with a new Sendero in 7mm Rem. mag. to hunt El Diablo again, plus a piggie and a turkey. Just not fair - having to work this hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Glad you got to come out to our neck of the country and get in a little trigger time. I have always wanted to go after Nilgi, I always heard they were tough to get in close on.:p Course this is what I have heard.

Good luck on your next trip, the weather has been great for hunting around here lately. On those turkey's, if all you got with you is that big 7 try to shoot it right at the base of the neck junction of the breast looking straight at ya. There ain't much on the backside you will miss. I thought this was BS when I heard it from a fellow around the corner from me, but after seeing several he brought home, taken with his 300 WM, I figured he knew what he was talking about.

Hogs, well take all you want or can manage to cram in coolers, I am sure we won't miss a single one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Good luck, and don't work too hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's a picture Ian forwarded to me. (I hope its okay to post.)

Ian-Nilgai.jpg

Thanks Dave, that was a very old bull, you could see every rib and his teeth were about gone. Partner took one a lot longer but not as heavy bases. I got the bullet back from this one, a T/C Shockwave in 250 grain that still weighed 92%. We crawled in among a herd in the mesquite, all I could see was lower legs of the bulls at 20-25 yards and two big old hogs came over to check us out, one decided to have a snooze right near where we were snoopin' and poopin'. Much more to the story, will unfold in American Hunter - I did the ultimate muzzleloading NO-NO...

Just a great time, fine guys to hunt with, tons of critters and perfect temps for us northerners - maybe in the high 50's and mid 60's most of the time.

Mike, we will be hunting the turkeys with shotguns and some new turkey ammo from Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts