• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Texas Hunt

Actually "purty" came from a Yella Dawg, but I like it all the same.

That is a real nice buck. What did you take him with and how far?

ShootMAgin, that is a MONSTER buck!!!

I'm callin' the realtor tomorrow and moving to Texas!!!!

grin.gif
Hold up guys. That picture had a little help with photo editor. He really was a nice buck, but he only scored 132" before I superimposed the antlers making him look like a 200" class. I shot him in Zavala county at 150 yards.
wink.gif
I know, I could have thrown a rock and hit him that far. Just having a little fun with texas though.
tongue.gif

If you are talking about someone brand new to shooting, HELL NO don't start with a 338 Lapua. The recoil and muzzle blast will turn them off of shooting forever, and if it doesn't the flinch they will initially develop will take a LONG time to cure.

If you are talking about someone new to long range hunting/shooting, who has many years of experience in shooting (as is pretty much a pre-requisite to this sport anyway), the 338 Lapua would be a fine starting place for a long range rifle. Just realize the cost of ammuntion and brass is very expensive, since Lapua and Norma are the only manufacturers.

FWIW,

Jim

338 lupua,
thanks for the info on the newbie with a 338. i happen to be the newbie although i'm a vet and into assault weapons. i'm farmiliar with ar15's, m16's, psg1, hk91, and such but totally unfarmiliar with hunting & long range target shooting.
with your insight, i just purchased a stainless 26" winchester 300 win mag repeater with a brake, maybe this will be more my speed,
thanks again jim,
morgan in dallas