Tell me about the 450 Bushmaster

You may want to look at the Savage Wolverine in the 450 as well. Fully adjustable with break, little more pricey but you are getting a decent rifle.
https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/centerfire/model-110/110-wolverine

If you are into single shots, the .357 Maximum will kill deer out to 200 yards easily with variety of 180-200 grain bullets. I have an Encore with 24" barrel 1:14 twist and shoot primarily Fury 190 grain bullets. They are accurate and expand perfectly at the velocities out to 200 yards. I shoot 180's through the chronograph at ~2200 fps and the 190's at ~2100 fps which out to 200 yards provides plenty of knock down and significantly less recoil than the 450.

All of my Michigan buddies changed over to the 450 Bushmaster when they changed the laws. They all have the Rugers and they all love the cartridge. Longest shot from the group, so far, has been 224 yards. Every deer dropped in its tracks. Between the group, that should be about 20 kills with this round. If I ever go back for deer season, I'm going to buy one

dougduey, FYI - I actually authored this law with Rep. Matt Lori of the 59th District back in May 2009. Took us 5 years to get it to the NRC past DNR's constant objections. I just forwarded all the initial documentation to one of the LR members in NH to start it there hopefully as well. If successful, this will make about 5 additional states (OH, IA, IL, MS?) that have adopted some portion of it which is fantastic. This is awesome how it has generated some much interest back into firearms for MI deer. I am a little disappointed with the new Win 350 Legend since it doesn't even match up to the .357 Max with same bullet. If it had, I would be all in on that new caliber!
Muddy

Now days just go 500 auto max or 500 S&W, you've got the 700gr T-rex hardcast and the 630gr Grand canyon at one end and you can go below 300gr at the other.

4,000 ft/lbs + possible. They are both straight wall and would qualify, right...?

Michigan is straight wall and 1.8" or less is the legal requirement. Ohio went a simpler route recently and stated just straight wall which allows the 45-70 which makes a whole lot more sense. We are lucky to have what we have in MI so 1.8" is livable.

dougduey, FYI - I actually authored this law with Rep. Matt Lori of the 59th District back in May 2009. Took us 5 years to get it to the NRC past DNR's constant objections. I just forwarded all the initial documentation to one of the LR members in NH to start it there hopefully as well. If successful, this will make about 5 additional states (OH, IA, IL, MS?) that have adopted some portion of it which is fantastic. This is awesome how it has generated some much interest back into firearms for MI deer. I am a little disappointed with the new Win 350 Legend since it doesn't even match up to the .357 Max with same bullet. If it had, I would be all in on that new caliber!
Muddy
Muddy,
That's so cool you were behind this change. We weren't effected by it originally because we hunted in the legal centerfire cartridge zones (in the cedar swamp on the north end of Hubbard Lake). But, some of my friends started getting hunting leases closer to home (Detroit suburbs) and this new law was a game changer.
Thanks for your hard work and getting this law passed!!

Doug

Doug,
Thanks for the props and it is really important to know why this law was pursued. The primary focus was to improve hunter sustainability, hunter recruitment for youth, women, slighter stature folks and even old hunters that have become recoil sensitive. I am almost 70 and saw how hunter recruitment was falling and thought this was a really path to take to help stave the reduction. It is still happening but wonder if this law wasn't there how much worse would it be? This law opened up the door for kids to shoot at the range with their parents or mentors with a firearm that didn't knock them off the bench and back onto their smart phones. When kids, women, slight build or even someone who hates getting their butt kicked by a slug off the bench can shoot a firearm accurately without getting slammed such as with a .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .357 Max etc and shoot economically it becomes fun and you get people more enthused about deer hunting. Five slugs are expensive while 50 rounds of .44 mag is slightly more but heck of lot more fun to shoot. The added bonus for other hunters to pursue .450 AR platforms, bolts and so on added to the success of the law. I am very comfortable saying it has brought people back into deer hunting. I am at the range a lot and I see kids there quite a bit with .44 Mag rifles, .357 Mag rifles (Ruger has a bolt for both .44 and .357) and so on.

If anyone in another state is interested in getting more info I would share whatever I have to help them go forward with it.
Muddy

Doug,
Thanks for the props and it is really important to know why this law was pursued. The primary focus was to improve hunter sustainability, hunter recruitment for youth, women, slighter stature folks and even old hunters that have become recoil sensitive. I am almost 70 and saw how hunter recruitment was falling and thought this was a really path to take to help stave the reduction. It is still happening but wonder if this law wasn't there how much worse would it be? This law opened up the door for kids to shoot at the range with their parents or mentors with a firearm that didn't knock them off the bench and back onto their smart phones. When kids, women, slight build or even someone who hates getting their butt kicked by a slug off the bench can shoot a firearm accurately without getting slammed such as with a .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .357 Max etc and shoot economically it becomes fun and you get people more enthused about deer hunting. Five slugs are expensive while 50 rounds of .44 mag is slightly more but heck of lot more fun to shoot. The added bonus for other hunters to pursue .450 AR platforms, bolts and so on added to the success of the law. I am very comfortable saying it has brought people back into deer hunting. I am at the range a lot and I see kids there quite a bit with .44 Mag rifles, .357 Mag rifles (Ruger has a bolt for both .44 and .357) and so on.

If anyone in another state is interested in getting more info I would share whatever I have to help them go forward with it.
Muddy
That's great Muddy. Thanks for all the info. I wasn't a deer hunter until my buddies got me into it while in my late 20's. Wish I could have started earlier. I'm obsessed with big game hunting now. Little did I know that whitetail hunting in northern Michigan would lead to what it is for me now. I went to Kodiak Island this past October for a mountain goat hunt. It was a success!! I know the value of getting the youth involved. Keep up the good work

I have the Ruger American with 16" barrel and brake. It is very accurate to 200 yards with the Hornady 250gn FTX even with the short barrel but the ballistics are a rainbow... you have to minimize cant or tilt at longer distance.

I think Iowa is only allowing straightwall rifle for residents this year iirc, non res still must hunt with either shotgun or pistol. I remember getting some sort of notification from Iowa dnr about it iirc, as I've put in for non res tags there before.

Very strange rule. I can see different hunting opportunities offered for state residents but to change manner of take, is interesting. Not that big of a thing, though.

Very strange rule. I can see different hunting opportunities offered for state residents but to change manner of take, is interesting. Not that big of a thing, though.

There are no limitations for non-residents using straight wall cartridges. They have been legal since the bill was passed in 2017.

There IS a limitation that only residents can use crossbows and only during late muzzleloader season.

So, tell me about the 450 Bushmaster.
Iowa allows hunting deer during shotgun season with .357 cal or larger straightwall calibers
I have never hunted shotgun season, as I have been an avid bowhunter for 35+ years, but am interested in giving it a try. I will be stand hunting, not pushing deer like most do, so am looking at being able to reach out there 2-300 yards.
I am looking at the Ruger Ranch rifle in 450 Bushmaster as an entry level rifle.

Hi trueblue, I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 that I shoot out to 300 yards and consistantly hit 12 inch steel plates with. If the season opened here that is in Ohio I would use this rifle/cartridge combination without hesitation. The 450 Marlin in the same rifle would also make a good choice, however I find the 45-70 to be all the cartridge and all the recoil that I want. Good luck with your next season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.