TC compass question

cohunt

So I have this TC compass rifle that I bought for my young daughter to take a "step up" in her cartridge size so she can start practicing at the range for hunting.

I bought this specific rifle for many reasons:
3 position safety
22" barrel
13.25" lop
threaded barrel
cheap so when she drops the thing 40 times at the range or in the field I don't cringe
S&W rebate offer
decent accuracy reviews online

Now here comes my question for anyone who actually has one of these rifles--- the muzzle has a slight raised edge around the edge so seating a muzzle device against the muzzle face seems to not be an option--also the shoulder of the barrel just behind the threaded portion is very thin so as not to be a very good shoulder for any muzzle device to seat against or index off

has anyone else noticed this on their TC Compass? seems like the threading is more of a "cool selling point" but not well thought out on TC's part

Yes I know this is an entry level/beginner rifle, which is exactly what she is, so it suits the situation well. If she does well with it and she gains comfort shooting it and increases her accuracy and consistency, then it has served its purpose well as a learning tool and she can then pick her rifle and cartridge for her next step in the progression--it is strictly a learning tool for now

What caliber and what are you screwing on the end of the barrel?
Second, if she is going to drop it 40 times you had better wait a while. Just not aware enough. Take it as you will.

What caliber and what are you screwing on the end of the barrel?
Second, if she is going to drop it 40 times you had better wait a while. Just not aware enough. Take it as you will.
Do you have a tc compass rifle?

The 40x comment was an exaggeration, but even at 49 years old I can not say I have never stumbled/fell when I was not expecting to.

Pretty sure all TC compass rifle have the same barrel profile regardless of cartridge so that is pretty much a moot point .

Last edited:
TC yes
I had one in 243 for a beater coyote gun but didn't shoot good enough for me. We can't have suppressors here and didn't need a brake so I don't think I even took the thread protector off. Are you wanting to put one of the two on for your daughter? I would say a good slip on pad but then the LOP would probably be way long.

I have one in 270 win. I put a muzzlebrake on it and it has been great and I'm sure it will continue to work well in the future.

So I have this TC compass rifle that I bought for my young daughter to take a "step up" in her cartridge size so she can start practicing at the range for hunting.

I bought this specific rifle for many reasons:
3 position safety
22" barrel
13.25" lop
threaded barrel
cheap so when she drops the thing 40 times at the range or in the field I don't cringe
S&W rebate offer
decent accuracy reviews online

Now here comes my question for anyone who actually has one of these rifles--- the muzzle has a slight raised edge around the edge so seating a muzzle device against the muzzle face seems to not be an option--also the shoulder of the barrel just behind the threaded portion is very thin so as not to be a very good shoulder for any muzzle device to seat against or index off

has anyone else noticed this on their TC Compass? seems like the threading is more of a "cool selling point" but not well thought out on TC's part

Yes I know this is an entry level/beginner rifle, which is exactly what she is, so it suits the situation well. If she does well with it and she gains comfort shooting it and increases her accuracy and consistency, then it has served its purpose well as a learning tool and she can then pick her rifle and cartridge for her next step in the progression--it is strictly a learning tool for now

I currently own six T/C Compass centerfire rifles; one in 223 Rem for my oldest grandson's starter centerfire (he is 7 yrs old and just started shooting it), two in 7mm-08 Rem (one for him when he is old enough and one is mine, for now), two in 6.5 Creedmoor (future use for two more grandsons that, at the moment, are far too young to use them), and one in 270 Win that remains NIB; a donor action for an up coming build. All, but the 270 Win, are completely set up including 20 MOA Picatinny bases, scopes, muzzle brakes and completed load development. All five that are in use, are shooting sub-MOA, with three of them hovering right at 1/2 MOA.

For my lefties; oldest daughter, only son, and only granddaughter so far, I have Left-hand Ruger American Predator and some Left-hand Ruger American Standard centerfire rifles in 223 Rems, 243 Win and 6.5 Creedmoor. I also have some Right-hand Ruger American Predator and Ruger American Standard centerfire rifles in; 223 Rem, 6mm Creedmoor, 243 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 30-06, for me and the wife. My RAPs have a little heavier barrels and definitely shoot a little better than the Compasses. I plan on adding quite a few more of both the T/C Compass and the Ruger American Centerfire rifles, in various cartridges, to the collection.

As for the muzzle brake issue on the Compasses, I slightly counter-bored the back of the brakes to allow them to seat against the barrel shoulder with a little extra room for turning the back end of the brake until it was properly timed. After turning to time the brakes, I just installed them slightly over hand tight with Loctite 243 on the cleaned threads. I now have over 120 round through all the Compasses except the aforementioned 270 Win, with several having well over 400 rounds down the barrel. I've had not issue at all with the muzzle brake loosening on any them.

I don't own any suppressors, so I can't attest to the ability of either the Compasses or the Ruger American Predators to run one without adversely affecting accuracy but, I've had no noticeable zero shift while using my MagnetoSpeed on any of them.

I love my various T/C Compass rifles. They are rich in very nice features, definitely meet their sub-MOA guarantee and can be had at less than $325 including S&H, before their $50 dollar PER RIFLE rebate that is in its second year running.

Though well over $150 more per rifle than the Compass, I also love my Ruger American Centerfire rifles! Mine are even more accurate than my Compass rifles, the actions are bit smoother and they also come in the Left-hand option!

Both the T/C Compass and Ruger American centerfire rifles are fantastic values. There are multiple reasons I plan on buying many more of each... most already have names! :D

I neglected to mention how nice the T/C Compass triggers are! Excellent design and easy to adjust. I adjusted all six (including the 270 Win) to 3 lbs. I had to loose the second nut that they used for a jam-nut, to gain enough adjustment room to get to 3 lbs but, after cleaning the threads, adjusting and locking the overtravel properly, and locating the proper adjustment point to obtain 3 lbs trigger pull, I used red loctite 271 (somewhat permanent) to secure the trigger spring tension nut.

Disclaimer:
WARNING! I do not recommend or expect anyone to use the aforementioned method to modify any trigger. If you need any trigger adjusted, have a COMPETENT gunsmith do it for you!

WARNING! AN IMPROPERLY ADJUSTED TRIGGER IS DANGEROUS AND COULD CAUSE CATASTROPHIC/LETHAL INJURY TO YOU AND/OR ANYONE AROUND YOU!

Glad to hear people arent having issues with the small shoulder.

Most Smith's recommend at least .700-.750" diam at the muzzle for a proper shoulder when using 5/8" threads, this barrel is .645" at the shoulder so it leaves a fairly small shoulder for seating.

In regards to the trigger, yes its adjustable but super heavy. I installed an "earnie the gun Smith" spring in my win 70 and it was nice, also put an mcarbo in my xbolt and it's pretty good too. This rifle will definately get a trigger spring at some time down the road but for now-- for a practicing youngster-- it will stay on the heavy side for a while.

She started with a cricket 22, then got a 10/22, and has shot my 223 and 6.8 ar's at the range, but it's time for her to step up to a bolt action centerfire to practice for her pronghorn hunt this year (as long as she draws the tag) I know shes not going to drop it 40 times, but we all have unexpected slips or drops in the field every once in a while.

I have one in 7RM. I put a Harrell adjustable muzzle brake on it and replaced the trigger spring. Love it! I just tune the brake to the load and I'm under 1 MOA all day with no real recoil! It will, however, take time for the action to smooth out.

I bought a TC in 6.5 CM because it was in expensive and I expected my grandkids to bang it around some. I have not been able to get it to shoot better than about 1.5 MOA with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. I have a suppressor but never really looked at mounting it on the TC.
The rifle was built after the TC trigger recall and despite mfr claims the triggers are adjustable, I have not been able to get it down less than about 5 lbs of not very crisp action. I tried to do some internet research on the trigger or see if there were other options but found that it sounded like others might be having issues as well. It also sounded like some who had tried to lighten it were experiencing safety issues which put me off of trying any further on a rifle intended for my grandkids.
I'm not sorry I bought it for the grandkids as a starter deer rifle but it will never make it as my own hunting rifle when I have much better options in the safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.