Taste of long range, well for me...

markopolo50

I went on a Dall sheep hunt last August in Alaska. A friend and I would say a real good friend offered to let me use his 338 Edge w/Nightforce in case I had a long shot. Not being a person that ever borrows I went with my 700 XCRII in 300WM, with just a Leupold Euro 3-9x50. Three quarters up the mountain on day 6 the guide says "we are not going to get any closer"!! In the fog I ranged 370 to a rock outcropping; the ram was farther but the fog closed back in. They knew we were there but not spooked. Had time to discuss with guide as I was dead on at 300. On level I had a 12" drop at 400 with 180 Noslers. The fog finally cleared and he was still there. It was a steep uphill shot and I aimed like it was 400yds. At the shot the guide started whooping as he was watching through his spotting scope. I racked another and expected a report of high, low left??? The ram dropped in his tracks, could not belive it. I wanted to do a victory dance but it was too steep and slippery on the wet snowy rocks. We did some high fives and headed up. We got close and my guide got a reading, 120 to the sheep yet and 350 back to my shooting spot. Needless to say I am watching all the long range shooting on TV. May even try to go to Utah next year when he goes back to a long range shooting school out there. Looking forward to some good stories on here also.

Mark

Look at it this way. A lowly .223 Remington (22 caliber projectile) in the right firearm with a good operator will be dead accurate to 1000 yards. The kinetic energy might not be there but with proper shot placement in would still do the job.

Congratulations btw.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.