7.62X54r for long range shooting?

PaShoot

I just bought myself a Mosin Nagant at my local gun store for $80. It looks like a piece of junk but certainly holds some historical interest. The 54r cartridge would seem to be an inherently accurate round with ever so slightly better ballistics than a 7.62 NATO round. Does anyone have any experience experimenting with the cartridge way down range?

I have a one moa PSL that I can use effectively out to 1200. The cartridge is a good solid 30 cal medium. Much like the 308 or any other 30 cal medium, It would not be my first or best option for the last half of that range. Loading a psl has limits that the bolt rifle does not so I expect you could do better than I in bullet selection, which of course would help. The 7.62x54 brass has bean a pane to track down lately. You may need to buy loaded ammo and shoot it to get brass. I have a m38 nagant In traditional format aside from a timney trigger. I like the gun..........but came to the conclusion Iron sights are quite appropriate for my use of it= A brush gun. All in all: can It be done? Yes. Would it be worth equipping with appropriate optics for long range? Probably not. Will a modern savage rifle in a modern cartridge run rings around it all day everyday and twice on sunday? Of course. A good trigger and peep sight will allow huge gains in accuracy with these rifles but each of those components will cost about the same as the rifle did and lets face it the stock sucks. I love the nagant's history. I love the nagant action, warts and all. But they are of limited use compared to the tools of today. Good luck, Have fun with it but keep your expectations realistic.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.