New to long range shooting

Big-Country

ok guys. As a sportsman I have been bowhunter and fisherman. I just got a new ruger precision 6.5 Creedmoor I actually won in a charity raffle. So being new to long range I have decided to jump in and have fun with a new sport I may have never tried before. Welcoming any and all advice for starting out at the range articles or tips. Thanks guys

Welcome aboard, I have a strong interest in the 6.5 Creedmore RPR and I'm very interested to hear how others are setting their's up. I keep waffling on it because I have such limited places to shoot longer than 200 yards around here.

Welcome. Just got to shoot one of those yesterday for the first time, and it was pretty sweet. Very impressed with the group size I could get with factory ammo. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to getting one after shooting yesterday

So as a new long range shooter. Are there any well shooters to research or articles I can start with. I have been all over YouTube watching videos but don't know quite yet who are the ones to really listen too.

Welcome. Just got to shoot one of those yesterday for the first time, and it was pretty sweet. Very impressed with the group size I could get with factory ammo. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to getting one after shooting yesterday

I've done some but little 300 win mag shooting with a friend. I have always done more archery. Probably isn't something I would have invested time into since archery can be pricey too. But once I won this rifle I figured it was a sign I need to dive in hahahahaha. Really excited because it's sports I have always watched but never thought I would really try.

Welcome to the forum! Have you picked a scope for it?

Looking at a vortex crossfire. Figured it was a decent scope for the price. Going to grab a bipod and get going. I have a lot of money wrapped up in my bowtech after shooting archery for years. Excited because I only got the gun in a charity raffle. Gonna see how this sport is. Jumping into it with both feet

welcome. plenty of youtube vids out there on the RPR. since you won it, you can dump a good amount of cash on a nice scope for it.

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the new rifle! Long range hunting and shooting is addicting! I myself started as a regular ol hunter, archery and shotgun mainly due to my area, avid bass fisherman, and general love for the outdoors. Once I got into long range shooting I was hooked big time! I've invested years and thousands and just love it and look forward to the next time I get behind the trigger.

Congrats on the new rifle! I've spend a little amount of time behind the rpr 6.5 creed and it's truly a great factory rifle! My suggestion to you would be to drop the most money you can afford on a quality optic. There is nothing worth then trying to do this with a sub par optic. I understand being new we aren't expecting nightforce atacr, Schmidt and bender or razor HD II, but look into something like a vortex viper hst, pst gen II. The Nikon black force 6-24x50 are a heck of an optic for the money and would make a fantastic scope to learn on. The crossfire doesn't have what it takes. There are more then a few bushnells that would step up to the game but I'm not too familiar with bushnell so won't try to recommend anything. Best of luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.