Taming a 338 Win Mag

Well, I don't know if a .338-06 can pierce a steel farm disc at 325 yards, but my BAR can. I've been shooting BARs of various calibers all my life and the exitholes I've seen have not caused me to wonder what my actual velocity is.

But it is a good question. Surely someone has chronographed a BAR to see how many fps gas-operation takes off a bullet.

Can't be a huge problem or no goose or turkey hunter would use gas-operated shotguns. But they do. And they kill geese and turkeys at extended ranges.

[ QUOTE ]
Surely someone has chronographed a BAR to see how many fps gas-operation takes off a bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have chronographed my Dad's 338WM BAR. 225 gr Barnes-X bullet with about .3 gr less than max load of IMR4350 was getting between 2650 - 2700fps. I have not compared this to a bolt gun over the same chronograph to see how much is lost with a semi-auto. This is off the top of my head, I have it written down somewhere around here.....

Roy:
You mentioned putting lead shot in the buttstock. I have heard horror stories of lead wool in buttstocks oxiding and swelling and splitting wood stocks. I do not know if shot will do the same thing or not. When I placed lead shot in one on my rifles I poured parrafin wax around it to protect it from oxidation. I have a Ruger 77 in 338 Win Mag which I restocked with a Hogue overmolded stock and that stock did a supurb job taming the recoil.
MJS

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.