Talley Lightweight vs rail mount

Rich Coyle

I am considering a new build and really like light weight. Has there ever been a published test comparing Talley lightweight rings vs rail mount rings in the same large caliber rifle?

I've used the lightweight Talley's extensively. all 20 MOA. 6.5 rem mag, 7mm RM, and two 28 noslers. all are on lightweight rigs with carbon fiber stocks and barrels. Never had an issue. I mount my scopes myself and lapp the crap out of the rings.

I did have one ring that was a little tight at widest part where the top and bottom parts meet. So it required a bit more work as there was more material that needed to be removed. Then I've had some (most) that were really pretty easy. In my experience they require a bit more lapping as compared to quality rail and ring sets.... but for me the savings in weight makes it worth it.

As for durability, one of the 28s fell off the back of a side by side as I was driving up an all rock incline. initally landed on the muzzle and then landed flat on the side.... chipping the crap out of the parallax dial on a swaro X5i. I was sick.... as it was a relatively new build that I had just finished load development and had verified everything out to 950 yds.

Went to the range the next day and NOTHING had changed. It looked like crap with the muzzle brake and the dial all buggered up. But it was still dead on....at 950 yds
Speaks to the durability of the mounts and the Swaro X5. Been an X5 fan since and have used the talleys on other milder calibers. I probability have 10 guns with the lightweight Talley's... so I have a fair amount of experience with them.

If it's lightweight you desire I don't think you can get lighter than Talley one piece rings/ bases. Mine are only on a lightweight 7-08 with a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 so not a lot of scope weight or recoil. They have been flawless though. 7075 is lighter than titanium and very stiff, just not as "strong". Mine were hand lapped to really make them grip the tube perfect.

I've got Talley lightweights on my Kimbers. Never had an issue with a sub 6 lb gun and 15-20 Oz scopes. Even with a 30-06 pushing 2900 fps+ with 180s.

At +/- 7 lbs total weight, that's a punisher in my books.

Not sure what your definition of large caliber is. But unless you are wanting to shave the last few ounces, rings are not the place to focus, nor advised.

Last edited:
I used a set of Talley's on a 30-06 with a NF 3-15 on it. pretty heavy and had no issues.

I currently have a set of Hawkins Hybrids ona 7mm RM and shoot the 190s. Has had a NF 5-22 and a Bushnell LRTSi on it wit no issues. They are bedded to the receiver. I prefer these to the Talleys nowadays.

I wouldn't even consider using a set of talleys. I've replaced 3 set for buddies where the upper ring cracks just outside of the screw hole. The screws are garbage and strip all the time also.

I'd use hawkins or a rail and ring system for sure.

My idea of a big one this time is an 8 mm using a .338 Lapua magnum improved. I will try to keep the weight under 8lb with a March 5-50X56.
That sounds like a rifle that will really stress the scope mount. If you aren't already committed to an action then go with an integral rail to eliminate as many screws as you can. ARC rings aren't the lightest but they're bombproof. Everything gets torqued to 55 in/lb. Single screw clamp.