Tactical Winchester 94, I've been playing with the Duracoat again

Dave King

Tactical Winchester 94, I\'ve been playing with the Duracoat again

I found a rather rusty WIN 94 1965 era (2,800,000 serial) for $295, its tight and the bore is great so I opted to refinished it for my tactical deer hunting adventures. Figured I'd document the effort.

I used Duracoat OD (I like OD) and prepared the little rifle with a dose of aluminum oxide blasting media. I use a Coleman abrasive blaster and a small air compressor.

I fairly completely dis-assembled the rifle leaving only the press-pins in place on the lever and bolt.

The abrasive blaster cleaned the surface and minor pitting rust well but did not remove the effects "pits" of the rust. I'm not too concerned about the cosmetics of pits but I was a little surprised that the blaster didn't "smooth out" the pits a bit more.

Some of the screws had some mangling from the rifles past life experiences, I didn't smooth them over duiring the face-lift operation as you may be able to see.

This is what it looked like from the store.

1)"click" for Hi-Res

2)"click" for Hi-Res

3)"click" for Hi-Res

4)"click" for Hi-Res

The innards before:

5)"click" for Hi-Res

Here are the innards after:

6)"click" for Hi-Res

7)"click" for Hi-Res

8)"click" for Hi-Res

9)"click" for Hi-Res

This picture was take in this orientation, upside down from the others.

10)"click" for Hi-Res

The "pop up" images can be saved to your local machine for fully enlarged viewing by using the "right-click" and "save target as" option when mousing over the displayed images. The pop up can also be viewed full size in the new browser (Internet Explorer) by mousing over the image waiting for the small 'enlarge" button to appear on the bottom right of the image, click the enlarge button.

Re: Tactical Winchester 94, I\'ve been playing with the Duracoat again

Dave,

That's a real eye grabber. Also I like the tactical designation.

I'm bettin' the lady of the house is keeping a close eye on pots & pans and other little goodies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The pop up can also be viewed full size in the new browser Mozilla Firefox by mousing over the image and ckicking. JTIAT

I know you are too young to remember Chuck Conners, the Rifleman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. You could take that lever down to your friendly Midas shop and have them cut the lever and reweld some new metal there. Also weld a little spur on the inside of the trigger guard so it would fire automatically when the lever closed. Then go to the yard sales and get you a set of Fanner 50's.

I had one of those replica toy 1892 Lucas McCain rifles, shiney little flip out auto select option.

I don't recall ever having a Mattel Fanner 50.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.