Tac powder in .223? good groups?

tresmon

Hey,
I was curious if anybody has tried to work up a sub-moa load with 75 or heavier grain bullets?? I would like to try to work up a 1000yd. load with it since it acheives higher velocities, but wanted to see if anyone has gone before me first...
Thanks,
Tres

I was using 24.4gr behind a 75 gr a-max loaded in LC brass in my Savage LRPV. The bullets are only stable to 650yards out of my 1-9 twist barrel. But I did shoot a black bird at 550 yards with it.

I just finished messing with a friend's Savage .223 and I did not get great results with TAC. He wanted to limit the options to TAC or Accurate 2230 and 60gr V-Maxes because he had so much of that on hand. 2230 gave much more consistent velocities but was a solid 150-200 fps slower. The TAC groups average about twice the 2230 groups too.

Never use TAC. In general, H335 for light bullets; Varget for heavy bullets.

True, but....

Heavy bullets in a 20" AR with slow powder will not get you very far, literally..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.