SWFA 3-15x42 Who got one?

I recently got the SWFA 3-15x42 and love it, its my first FFP scope.
I used the SWFA trade in program and sent them a 2 year old used Vortex Viper HST 4-16x44 I paid 525$ for the Vortex new, and got $350 trade in.

I paid off the other $300 for the SWFA. Pretty good deal all in all a **** good deal.

I have to say I love this scope, I looked at all the other scopes with the same features, Gen2 or better mil dot, mil adjustments, FFP and variable power, and I came to the conclusion that the SWFA is the best scope for under $1500, Even the Mk4 Leuopolds when compared side by side dont offer anything more IMO for twice the price .

Its got all the features of the other scope in its class, the glass is just as good, it all comes from the same places in Japan anyway, Its got the best adjustment range, even with a 0 degree scope mount I have plenty of elevation to get to 1500yds with a 5.56 well beyond its max effective range.

From my current Zero I have 38 mils elevation to play with and that is more than enough to get to the max effective range of anything you want to shoot.

I only have one real complaint with the SWFA 3-15x42, at full power the eye box becomes pretty critical, and the light transmission could be better due to the 2.8mm exit pupil at 15x , but drop it down to 10-12x and its crisp clear and very bright even in low light, and the eye box becomes very forgiving.

the included "cat tail" lever is a very nice touch I just wish there was more than one option for mounting it.

The scope is also fairly heavy at 24 oz compared to other scopes in the same "class" but the SWFA is made to be much tougher, just like its incredibly rugged fixed power cousins.

my only other small issue is the windage knob is a little sticky when you first go to dial after its been sitting for a few hours, the O ring is a little too big, I put some vegetable oil on it to loosen it up and it seems to work better, but until you move it a few clicks it feels mushy, after that both the windage and The elevation dial are very crisp, with positive audio and tactile feedback.

I shot the box with the scope three times, once after the initial sight in with weaver tactical rings, it tracked perfectly in all 4 directions at 300 yds, again after I upgraded to an American Defense recon mount, and again after I fulfilled my unfortunate tradition of knocking my rifle off the bench whenever I get a new scope.
Even after hitting concrete directly on the scope under a 10lb rifle from a waist high shooting bench, it held zero, and tracked perfectly. The elevation knob took most of impact its got a pretty good gouge in it, but other than cosmetics the scope took no damage.

Also for anyone interested I tested the AD recon mount with the quick levers and its retains zero 100% after it got dropped, taken off the rifle and reinstalled. I tested it 3 times, shooting one shot removing it, shooting one shot, installing it, and testing zero.

I spent a long time looking at scopes, saving my money and getting hands on experience with as many scopes as possible before deciding on the SWFA, I looked at Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Bushnell Elite, Weaver Tactical and others, and even though I had a $1200 to spend I wouldnt hesitate buying the SWFA 3-15x42 again. The only other scope I would consider is the HD 5-20x50 from SWFA, But that was bigger, and heavier than I really wanted.

If I could change one thing about this scope it would be to give it a 50mm objective lens.

Other than that its got all the features, bulletproof construction, and a fantastic price.

Nice review savageman.......I love my two SWFA scopes too. I too have the 3x15x42mm, and the illuminated 5x20x50mm.

Hey thanks man, I did want to mention that the side focus knob is not calibrated correctly on my scope, I know alot of people who just set yardage and call it good, with a $3000 PMII or something that may work, but on my scope a "fixed" parallax setting at 100yds shows between 30 and 50yds

I received my 3-15 ffp the other day and it looks like a really solid piece. I don't expect that the parallax knob will be calibrated to any specific yardage. The glass looks good and I'm waiting for a set of Seekins rings and base before I get it mounted on a Remington 700 milspec 5r. Hopefully I'll have a review to offer in the next couple weeks.

I have used 1of them quite a bit on a .223 tac rifle out to 700 + yards. Two thumbs up, it is as reliable and repeatable as my 5-20x50 hd supersniper.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.