Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

Yeah, night or dusk-ish works the best on a large flat surface around 100 yds away that you can see/find in low light. It's sometimes easiest to set up the camera before it gets dark so it's pointed in the right spot, when it gets dark all you need to do is turn it on and start "ranging" the surface with the rangefinders.

Jon,
I've been told the opposite 1.5 wide by .5 high! I'll check up and come back to you. From the testing I've done they are better than the Zeiss RF's and way better than the Leica's at getting over the tops of intermediate range tree tops etc. I've just been ranging a hill face at 1200 yards thru gaps in a 250 yard row of trees, and the Swaro's can still give you the 1200 yard face thru the tiniest holes in the closer trees that the others can't get even close to doing - especially the Leica!
Greg

Curious to know if you've had hands on time with an HD Geovid?

NZ, are the specs you've read for the EL-range the same as here in the states? Everything I've read says 1500yds range on them. I'm used to LRFs max range to be the max, best expected, in the best conditions. There are exceptions to every rule. Do you think Sawrovski is sand-bagging with these? For me me, if the EL range can do 1500yds 90% of the time, and 1mi in the morning and evening it seems like a no-brainer. I would hate to see whatever makes it to the shelves here, be dumbed down. I was all set on the PLRF05 (2500m) until I read my $2k only gets a 1 year warranty with Vectronix.

until I read my $2k only gets a 1 year warranty with Vectronix.

I know Swarovski's customer service is tops, but it will be interesting to see how their warranty unfolds with the EL RF's, because right now they're saying two years on electronics. Leica's warranty is five years on electronics.

Buster,
Yes, I have used both Zeiss RF and Leica Geovid HD binocular rangefinders extensively, both here when I'm doing my optical comparisons etc for my reviews in the magazine, and in the field hunting. I hunt over 150 days every year, so really get the chance to give gear a real work out. I have all three sitting in front of me now, as well as most of the monocular rangefinders. I have very extensive field experience with most rangefinders, including my LRP-3 Russian naval rangefinder that does 35km in a blink. I don't have any experience other than looking thru them at a show of the Vectronics, but Shawn and co can tell you about them.
I have no bias at all, just report things as I find them. That way I retain credibility with my readers, and with all the distributors. If a product is BS, then I say so!

YoungBuck, The 10x42 EL Range weighs 34 oz ready to go including battery, objective and eyepiece covers, the 10x45 Zeiss RF's 40 oz, and the Leica HD's 36 oz.
They will range to 1500 yards to almost any target in any light conditions I'd say, but drizzly rain and cloud will pull them back the same as it does any rangefinder. I've just ran some more comparisons now in drizzly rain and the EL's are doing a comfortable 1300 yards everytime, the Zeiss RF's a scratchy 1200 yards 50% of the time, and the Leica HD's only 800 yards, all to grassy hill faces. Without a doubt the EL's have the best ranging capabilities of the three, and way better than the Leica HD's!
I haven't checked up the electronic warranty on the EL's yet, but I will do so.
Greg

I know Swarovski's customer service is tops, but it will be interesting to see how their warranty unfolds with the EL RF's, because right now they're saying two years on electronics. Leica's warranty is five years on electronics.

At least I kinda know what to expect with Swaro. 366 days after a Vectronix is bought, I could be told it is 1800$ to repair. I'm not saying this is how it would be. With Swaro they could see that I've had their products for years and have seen what has and hasn't been in for repair. They have always been more than fair with me in the past on my stuff from them. I would have a little more pull with warranty stuff with Swaro.

It is looking like I'll be going with the EL-range. I've got a couple of toys to get rid of before I can pre-order the Swarovskis.

Thanks for the field tests NZ.

NZ have you been able to try the inclinometer in the Swaro EL range binoculars. I still have not been able to find any material on how it works and how accurate it is for various loads for different guns.

Have you compared the EL-R to the Bushnell Fusions? Obviously the glass isn't going to be up to the level of the Swaros but for $800 I have been hearing some really good reports past 1600 yards on non-reflective targets.

Hunter,
Yes, I've tried it in the field, as well as done the simple theoretical ballistic comparisons at home. I compared the difference in TBR's between something real flat like my 7mm SF shooting the .345 G7 BC Berger 180gn Hybrids at 3415 fps, verses a 308 shooting the 155gn Berger. For the majority of hunting situations out to 800 yards and 30 degrees, the TBR's are within + or - an inch of the Swaro's calc. Using an absolute extreme of 1000 yards and 30 degrees, which is a very rare shot to find anywhere, they were within + or - 2 inches of the Swaros TBR. Now For all the extreme long range hunting we've done in our steepest mountains on our most extreme alpine game animal that lives higher than any other game animal we've got, the Himalayan Tahr, we've only once had a shot at this angle at this sort of range. The further the range, the flatter the angle will generally be even in the steepest country.
We had the Swaro's out hunting this week and I was comparing its TBR's with calcs done with "Shooter" on my Garmin phone for my 7mm FatMax at all sorts of ranges and angles, and it was within a yard or 2 all the time.
I'd have to say I was very skeptical when Richard told me Swaro had done the calcs and discovered that the TBR differed little between calibers, but when I did them myself, I was made a believer!
It now means we no longer need have to have such comprehensive drop charts including angles. We can just have simple level come ups in the average atmospheric conditions we're likely to encounter, and that will be close enough out to 900 yards or so, except if extreme conditions. For 1000 yards and beyond I'd always use "Shooter" with full atmospheric, powder temp and Coriolis inputs anyway, and just use the Swaro's angle input instead of the TBR.

Scot E,
Yes, I've done extensive testing on the Fusions, and while a good combo for the money, their beam divergence lets them down at the long stuff. It can be hard to figure out just what you're getting readings off along a flat plain. They will easily range 1800 yards to reasonably reflective vegetation like glossy leaved broadleaf trees and flax bushes, but bright light and non reflective trees like your conifers (pine, spruce etc) will pull you back to 1300 to 1400 yards.
And I'd have to say their optics were disappointing, considering how good their Elite binos are. But value for money, pretty hard to beat if you're on a really tight budget.

I must get round to putting up all my reviews on our website. One day soon, but I'm always away hunting!!!:D
Greg

Hunter,

Scot E,
Yes, I've done extensive testing on the Fusions, and while a good combo for the money, their beam divergence lets them down at the long stuff. It can be hard to figure out just what you're getting readings off along a flat plain. They will easily range 1800 yards to reasonably reflective vegetation like glossy leaved broadleaf trees and flax bushes, but bright light and non reflective trees like your conifers (pine, spruce etc) will pull you back to 1300 to 1400 yards.
And I'd have to say their optics were disappointing, considering how good their Elite binos are. But value for money, pretty hard to beat if you're on a really tight budget.

I must get round to putting up all my reviews on our website. One day soon, but I'm always away hunting!!!:D
Greg

+1 regarding the elite glass. I was hoping they would come out with an upgrade in glass for the fusion instead of the 12x50's but no so luck.

I have seen a video posted on LRH where the gent was ranging conifers and grassy hillsides past 1500 yards with the Fusions. I will see if i can find it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I was just talking to a US distributor of Swarovski products that had received a few Swarovski El Range Binoculars and sold them to customers. They had to get them back and return them to Swarovski due to a software problem. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Up date to previous post. Swarovski products importer has reported no problems with software in latest shipments of Swarovski El Range binoculars. However they reported that the angle program only gives you the horizontal distance not a shooting distance like a TBR. They also had a Swarovski sales rep call me who said the same thing. Now I am confused.

NZ - Can you afirm from your experience that they calculate a useable shooting distance without having to run it thru your ballistics program and not just a horizontal distance based on the cosign of the angle. Please note that I am not questioning your integrity but I am asking for a follow up response based on your experience since 1 of your earlier posts said, "It displays a TBR like Leupold's s'posedly". The word "supposedly" leaves me wondering.

if anyone else who has a unit can help with my confusion on what the angle program actually calculates it would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts