Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

Interesting question about how Swarovski computes the True-Ballistic-Range (TBR). Here is my non-affiliated to Swarovski guess: They must compute the Time-Of-Flight(TOF) for the bullet to travel 800yards along the 30degree uphill slope. This would take into account the effect of gravity slowing the bullet down along the x component, in addition to the normal BC effect of air. Gravity would cause the bullet to arrive at the uphill 800 yard destination with a lower velocity than it would at a level 800 yard position. This would result in a longer (TOF). They would then take the COSINE(30)*TOF to determine the x component TOF and match this value to an equivalent level TOF to determine the TBR. It would be interesting if you swapped positions and read the TBR at a target 30 degrees downhill. I expect it would be less than 693 yards as gravity cause the bullet to arrive at a higher velocity than the 800 yard level position.

THEY ARE AWESOME! I've been able to consistently range targets around my place at over 1700 yards during mid day. I bought these in preparation for the Snipers Hide Cup at the end of May where we will have unknown targets out to 1200 yards. Not many range finders will do that...these will have no problem. The True Ballistic Range calculator will also be very useful for this competition as the shots will NOT be level, I only wish it would provide solutions beyond 1000yards. I suspect that Swarovski choose to limit the calculations to 1000yards because they need to assume a common trajectory for all calculations, and the solutions may really start to diverge beyond 1000 yards depending on your specific bullet. For those cases where the TBR is greater than 1000 yards, it is easy to switch modes on the binoculars and have them provide the angle. (I'll just need to do a bit of trig prior to the shot.) If I already owned a great pair of binoculars, I probably would have settled on the Leica 1600Bs as they are 1/3 the price and also provide very accurate readings beyond 1200 yards. However, I'm skeptical about using the ballistic solution for MOA or MILs that the Leicas provide beyond 500yards as there are only a couple of profiles to choose from. While the optics are fine, the lens is only a 7x24 monocular and can't compete with a 10x42 binocular. Since I also elk hunt in Colorado, and I HATE carrying both binoculars and a range finder, (and my previous binos were 20 year old $150 Bushnells) I felt justified in spending the extra $$$ for a combined solution.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, you provided some great information. I think I'm set on getting a pair just have to get the cash together!

My buddy got one of these (10X42) and its pretty **** nice.
Without question the finest pair of binoculars I have ever looked through.

The LRF is also without doubt the best Leica/Swarovski rangefinder to date.
It is no Terrapin though. This is most notable when shooting in inclement weather with mist, ground fog, and clouds rolling about. So far if I can see the target I can range it with my Terrapin (I know of others that have not been able to get readings in foggy conditions). Bad weather wise the new Swaro is no better than the older units.

All that said I intend to replace my 10X42 Leica binocs with the brilliant optics of this unit.
The convenient LRF is a nice bonus and all most hunters will ever need.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.