swarovski brx vs zeiss rapid z 800

The swarovski reticle is in .5 of a mil increments and makes way more sense for long range shooting where you are using some sort of ballistic program.

The ziess is labeled in distance. That's great just have a look on the ziess website before you go out and input the exact temp and density you'll be shooting at and it will tell you to just dial to 11.43 power. Oh. Ok. Perfect. So you buy a scope that is variable power and then leave some magnification on the table so that your drop matches your reticle markings. But wait, if you buy right now without further considering things it gets better. When you want to confirm your load info with the ziess program either make sure you have internet access where you are shooting or just go ahead and drive back and forth every time you fire a group at a certain distance. Where do you hold for uphill downhill shots? You better have a device that gives you a shoot to distance rather than a solution in Moa or mil. If you still decide on the ziess there is the added bonus of a reticle that is way too thick. Really helps with your load work up, especially as you move further out and the reticle covers up all fine details of your target.

I have the swaro z5 5-25x52 & absolutely love it! Better glass then the zeiss!

Impossible, because the best lenses in the world are coming undoubtly from Schott. Schott is or was part of the Zeiss group/fabrication. Even the ATACR from Nightforce uses Schott lenses due to their outstanding quality ... Which Zeiss - scope was in comparison to your Swaro? Hopefully no Conquest, because it isn't a high -end product from Zeiss.

I have both a Swarovski with BRH and Zeiss with Z800, both on magnum 7mm guns.

I much prefer the Z800 as it gives you a reticle for every distance form 200-800 yards and in 25 yard increments from 300 yards to 800. The BRH only gives me exact reticles out to 500 yards with my combination.

The BRH reticle is almost too thin for use in low light at normal hunting distances. I would not want The Z800 to be any thinner (better than the BRH). These reticles were designed for hunting not precision target shooting at 1000 yards.

I also like the 5 and 10 mph wind holds at every 100 yard increment on the Z800 over the 10 and 20 mph wind holds that are only on every other bar on the BRH.

I use the Z800 as designed, I do not turn the elevation turret so it does not matter if I cant use MOA ect. Run the program for the Z800 with your load and see what it does to your calibration magnification at different elevations,temps. You can taylor you calibration magnification to keep the reticle true at different elevations and temperatures (not hard, I only need two magnification settings to keep the reticle true between 5000 feet at 70 degrees and 9500 feet at 30 degrees as an example).

Pick a load your rifle shoots well and have at it. I agree that its not a versatile of a system as turning turrets or using MOA reticles but it was not designed or intended for this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.