Swaro Z5 3-18-44 vs Zeiss HD 3-15x42

Big_Red

First off, I'm not a 'long range hunter' by any means (not yet anyway) but enjoy the discussion here. I do long range target shooting with big ole heavy rifles and heavy scopes - but my hunting is done primarily with traditional weight sporter rifles in the Southeastern US.

That said... I'm looking to upgrade the current Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 on my Browning A-Bolt 30-06. Obviously, this is not a 'long range' gun - but it is my favorite deer rifle and typically the one that gets carried. I'm looking for excellent glass with better magnification to go on this rifle, primarily for, well - more magnification while still hunting over large fields and more magnification during load development (just started reloading). The A-Bolts are relatively sleek in design and I'm opposed to any 50mm objective optic for this gun. Been there and didn't like the look or handling.

I have searched and read a bit on these two scopes mentioned in the subject line, both of which are top contenders....

The Swaro is roughly 50% more in price, more magnification and less weight. The Zeiss is a bit heavier and slightly less magnification. I'm certain both would be excellent in low light conditions which is typical of when we see deer. I would likely opt for plex or a rapid style reticle with capped turrets.

Any other things to consider? Max distance for shooting at game at this point in my life is realistically 250-300 yards. Typical is 100-200. I just want more magnification and to be able to keep it in my Talley lows.

I upgraded my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 to a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 X 44 with BRH. It sits on top of my .340 Weatherby. This was my third Zeiss scope on my rifle, and the first Swaro optic, and I am really pleased with the upgrade. Cost more $$, but I think I won't have to look any further for a scope.
I have since upgraded my Zeiss Victory RF binos to the Swaro EL Range 10 X 42, and can't believe the difference in clarity and low light performance.
The Swaro is mounted in Talley Med, and has enough clearance that I might have made the lows work, but I have a good sight picture when I have the rifle shouldered in shooting position, so I won't consider changing the rings.

Appreciate the feedback. I too had the Zeiss 4.5-14 but in a 50mm objective on that rifle. It had to be mounted high and was heavy.

Glad to hear you felt the Swaro was an upgrade over that 4.5-14 optic.

I believe the Z5 is at least a step up possibly two steps up from the Zeiss. I found the Zeiss had a "tunnel vision" effect, and was not pleased at all.
The Swaro Z3 is close in price compared to the Zeiss, and I considered it at first, but after reading up on it, I learned that the Z3 has a single leaf spring in the erector assembly (similar to Zeiss), and the Z5 has 4 coil springs instead.
I went with the Z5 for that reason.

Also, the Swaro with the ballistic reticle is easier to work for me. After deciding what load you are going to use, go to the Swaro Ballistic Computer website, and it will show you which stadia wires to use for the distances, and set the scope on 18X to make it work.
With the Zeiss, you had to decide what ammo to use, then go to the Zeiss website, and print out the results. Then depending on the data, you had to put the scope on a certain magnification, sometimes 11x sometimes 12.5, it varied. It was a little more confusing than the Swaro that you just leave on 18X.
If you were shooting 200 yards or less, it didn't matter what power the scope (Zeiss or Swaro) was on.
If you choose the Swaro Ballistic turret instead, I can't help with that.

Or get the Zeiss locking turret with the plex reticle, it is a great design and a rapid Z reticle doesn't make sense for your hunting range. Its true that the sight picture is a bit sensitive to eye position but if you are comfortable with your rifle cheek weld its not an issue. The new HD scopes have Lotu-tec coating also which is great

I bought the Swaro... never had one and always wanted to give them a shot.

Have Zeiss, Nightforce, Leupold, Vortex, etc.

I have 3 of the Zeiss HD 5 3x15x42 with lockable target turrets with the Kenton dials.
One is on a Hs Precision 300wsm and it has been great from antelope in 100 degree weather down too -15 on a late mule deer hunt.
One is on a 257 Weatherby and with the Kenton dial it is dead nuts on.
I am not a long range shooter per say but am pleased for a simply hunting set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.