Swaro 10x42 El

mike33

Ive been kicking around a pair of these, anyone using them? Also are they worth the price tag? I have a 20 year old pair of 10x50 looking for something a little lighter.

Love mine. I don't go anywhere with out them. I have older pair of 8x30 Slc but prefer the 10x42

Are you asking about the older EL or the newer Swarovision EL?

My advise is to look at the latest SLC in 10x42-it absolute perfection for a hunting binocular IMO. I like it better than the Swarovision and I own both.

Its also better optically than the discontinued EL.

I have recently got a pair of Swarovski el swarovision 10x50...they are awesome to look through, and not a lot heavier than the 10x42 el's.
I also have a pair of slc hd 8x42s and they are fantastic too!
I got the Els at a very good price, so it was hard to pass up.
The light gathering ability of the 10x50s is astounding.
I've looked around after dark, and can see things 100 feet away through them, that I can not see with the naked eye...yes they are worth every cent!!

Last edited:
Are you asking about the older EL or the newer Swarovision EL?

My advise is to look at the latest SLC in 10x42-it absolute perfection for a hunting binocular IMO. I like it better than the Swarovision and I own both.

Its also better optically than the discontinued EL.

The newer ones that cabelas has for around 2,500.00. I thin k there is a slc for around 17-18 just wondering the best bang for the buck. is the extra 700 worth it. I have a 20 year old swarv. in the 10x50 I swear it makes light. The weight is little heavy is why I wanted to go with the 10x42.

The 10x42s in either will be great!
I also have the newer 8x42 slc, which are fantastic.
I have read that the 8x are brighter than the 10x, in the slc's.
I haven't had them side by side, so I cant say.
hope that helps.:)

There is no optical advantage in the 10x42 swarovision over the SLC other than sharp edges to the very edge of the FOV. The SLC optics are just as good and its a more compact binocular, I also prefer its ergonomics over the swarovision. The SlC is also technically brighter because it has less lenses than the Swarovision.

The sweet spot in the view of the SLC approaches 90% with just a little pincushion distortion added to eliminate the possibility of rolling ball distortion. The new tend in high end binoculars is to add just enough pincushion to do the job or use field flattener lenses more moderately. Premium binoculars in the past had excessive pincushion distortion added.

The flat field extra lenses in the eyepiece's of the Swarovision cause the whole FOV to be sharp but at the expense of causing rolling ball distortion when panning (objects leaving and coming into the FOV are moving faster then objects in the center of the FOV when panning) (also called Globe Effect). Some peoples eyes are very sensitive to this.

You need to look through a Swarovision enough to decide if the rolling ball bothers you before you buy one.

You may also prefer the ergonomics of the Swarovision over the SLC.

IMO the top two premium 42mm binoculars at this time are the SLC and possibly the new Zeiss Victory SF (just introduced). Yet to look through one.

I like the SLC better than the Zeiss Victory HT (awesome brightness).

The new Zeiss Victory SF is an attempt to dethrone the Swarovision.
It has flat field lenses but not taken to the point to cause rolling ball. It has 92% transmission in the whole visible range (SLC 91% so a tie) and a 360 foot FOV in the 10x42 (better than anything else) as well as a excellent focus design.

There is no optical advantage in the 10x42 swarovision over the SLC other than sharp edges to the very edge of the FOV. The SLC optics are just as good and its a more compact binocular, I also prefer its ergonomics over the swarovision. The SlC is also technically brighter because it has less lenses than the Swarovision.

The sweet spot in the view of the SLC approaches 90% with just a little pincushion distortion added to eliminate the possibility of rolling ball distortion. The new tend in high end binoculars is to add just enough pincushion to do the job or use field flattener lenses more moderately. Premium binoculars in the past had excessive pincushion distortion added.

The flat field extra lenses in the eyepiece's of the Swarovision cause the whole FOV to be sharp but at the expense of causing rolling ball distortion when panning (objects leaving and coming into the FOV are moving faster then objects in the center of the FOV when panning) (also called Globe Effect). Some peoples eyes are very sensitive to this.

You need to look through a Swarovision enough to decide if the rolling ball bothers you before you buy one.

You may also prefer the ergonomics of the Swarovision over the SLC.

IMO the top two premium 42mm binoculars at this time are the SLC and possibly the new Zeiss Victory SF (just introduced). Yet to look through one.

I like the SLC better than the Zeiss Victory HT (awesome brightness).

The new Zeiss Victory SF is an attempt to dethrone the Swarovision.
It has flat field lenses but not taken to the point to cause rolling ball. It has 92% transmission in the whole visible range (SLC 91% so a tie) and a 360 foot FOV in the 10x42 (better than anything else) as well as a excellent focus design.

Any thoughts on how the new SLCs (the current ones) stack up against the SLC HDs?

The new SLC's are the HDs...as I mentioned, I had the 8x42, and they are beautiful to look through.
The 10x50s el's are just as nice, but (I) think better in near no light..and brilliant under normal conditions.
I really don't think the extra money is easily justified.
I just found that, 10x were better for my hunting situations.
The el's in 10x50s came up, so I got those, and sold the slc-hd 8x42s!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.