Surgeon XL Action

Aragorn50

Gents,

I am new to this Forum, and have read through many of the threads. I am no stranger to long range shooting, having competed in FCSA 1000 yd matches for 15 years, (2-Gun National Champion 1998 - 2002) and spent a good deal of time shooting my 50 on a military base out to 2000yds. I have recently acquired a .338 Lapua, Nesika Action, Obermeyer 28" barrel, McM A5 stock. I've just started getting dope with the BH 300 SMK ammo, and now have some of the Lapua 250 Scenar ammo. It is a tactical rifle. I am interested if anyone has tried the new Surgeon XL action, as I am thinking of building another rifle. I am also interested in recommendations for building a 408/375 CT class rifle, which actions are suitable etc. Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Scott N.

I thought the Surgeon XL was too small for the 408. Am I correct?

Xtreme Machine makes a kick-*** action that is EDM wired. $1650 but the tolerence is .0003

[ QUOTE ]

Xtreme Machine makes a kick-*** action that is EDM wired. $1650 but the tolerence is .0003

[/ QUOTE ]

The Surgen XL is made for the 338 Laupa

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I knew the Surgeon XL was designed for the .338. I guess my post was confusing, as I was actually asking 2 questions.

1. If anyone had any experience with the Surgeon XL, and their thoughts? (As I want to build a 2nd .338LM)

2. What actions are suitable for a .408 based rifle?
(For another project)

I will check out Lawton, BAT and Extreme Machines.... Thanks!

Scott

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Contact Info for Xtreme Machine?

Thnx
Scott

[ QUOTE ]
Scott,

My first choice for a 408 action would be from Barney Lawton, second choice BAT.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on the Lawton Action.

FD

Demarpaint, the lawton and the BAT are great actions, but with the tolerances of those xtreme machine actions, its hard to overlook them.

surgeon by far gets my vote. ive seen many actions. and while im not as seasoned as some of you, im just as experienced as most of you-- and the surgeon guns are making a stand to be noticed. i recently shot with a guy who had picked his gun up less than 48 hours prior to us shootin, he put 4 of 5 in 6 inches at 1k with the first batch of loads he worked up and 5 of 5 in 7 inches with the next. now ive been around enough to know that luck plays a factor, but you cant tell me that this guy- knowing him- was able to do it based on luck alone. blast away boys, im new here but have been shooting long range awhile and for the money-- im goin with the doc.

[ QUOTE ]
Gents,

I am new to this Forum, and have read through many of the threads. I am no stranger to long range shooting, having competed in FCSA 1000 yd matches for 15 years, (2-Gun National Champion 1998 - 2002) and spent a good deal of time shooting my 50 on a military base out to 2000yds. I have recently acquired a .338 Lapua, Nesika Action, Obermeyer 28" barrel, McM A5 stock. I've just started getting dope with the BH 300 SMK ammo, and now have some of the Lapua 250 Scenar ammo. It is a tactical rifle. I am interested if anyone has tried the new Surgeon XL action, as I am thinking of building another rifle. I am also interested in recommendations for building a 408/375 CT class rifle, which actions are suitable etc. Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Scott N.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find yourself a manufacturer that has made several thousand actions and that has had them in the field for some time to get the bugs worked out. You don't want to pay for the priviledge of testing them. If you use time proven designs and manufcturers as the criteria, it whittles the list down significantly.

Oops! Almost forgot also avoid manufcaturers that have had quality control problems that have resulted loss of business etc, etc.... And finally, any that have had backruptcy issues in the las seven years.

Now the list is small.

I have three long range custom rigs with custom actions for shooting the big cases along with four other custom actioned benchrest rifles and a 22RF.. Since my manufacturer (Hall Manufacturing) has shifted his efforts from long range actions to building the 22RF actions (his are rated the best), I would have to recommend a BAT as being the most solid company with the most solid action out there. So, if I was starting all over again (glad I am not), I would get BAT actions and never look back.

James

HFT, surgeon doesn't make a 408 action.

I agree with Chawlston that BAT is the proven action. But, the xtreme machine action is incredible.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.