Suppressor pouch, cover, etc

TBuckus

I finally got my suppressor and now have more questions.
First off I need a pouch for carrying it. I found out my gun case for my AR is too short to leave it attached. What is everyone using for carrying it? $70 seems a little high just for a separate bag.
Also, how heat resistant does it need to be if I'm not shooting full auto? Some pouches say heat resistant, some high heat resistance.
Suppressor cover. Is it just to prevent a mirage?

Suggestions would be great

Depending on its size, a Crown Royal bag may work to carry it to the field. From my understanding the covers they stay on them are supposed to help with mirage when shooting.

idcwby

Suppressor cover helps if you want to touch the suppressor after firing through it multiple times and keep the skin on your fingers. It also helps significantly with mirage. I do not fire full auto. I have a cole-tac cover.

go with a cover and forget the pouch. You will need it for mirage. If you are shooting open sighted AR you can take the cover off you will still be able to see without heating the heck out of your cover. I hope you have a piston AR as a gas AR will get very dirty with a can

Spend the money on a good quality cover. If you swap suppressor around from rifle to rifle at the range you are going to for sure need one. After just a few shots mirage is terrible off a can and that is where a good suppressor cover really shines. I have several covers and TAB gear, Armageddon and the silencerco make great covers.

Good comments here - skip the pouch, get a cover, make a cutout in your foam and store in the case next to your rifle (and stick a copy of your tax stamp under the foam just in case you need it). Beware that a full-auto rated can doesn't mean it wont melt your hand, your shooting bench, your pants or set fire to your suppressor cover and any nearby tinder - they get HOT. My SiCo cover has smoked and smoldered - I have to remove it after about 60 rounds. Welder's gloves (at least one) is a good idea to put in your range bag as well as tools to remove if your can gets stuck. Sometimes waiting for it to cool will allow it to come loose by hand. Also, always bring a handgun w/you to shoot while the cans cool off -- oh, yes... there will be more than one... ;-)

I would add that I run a SiCo Saker556 on an 8.5" SBR and a 16.5" carbine - both are piston guns. - the carbine has adjustable gas block. Both can run VERY dirty with some types of ammo. I've found Fiocci is the cleanest burning range ammo in my guns.

Enjoy the hushed life.

I use Armageddon Gear Covers & Pouches for my bolt gun suppressors. I keep a copy of my Form4 in the pouch, and the cover basically lives on the can. For my AR suppressor, I don't run a cover, just the pouch.

I buy military pop flare pouches off ebay for the pouch. They are MOLLE compatible and fasten to gear (assuming you are using MOLLE compatible gear) for carrying the suppressor when its not mounted to your rifle and are about 12.00-15.00 ea. However they are fairly long, so if your suppressor is short it may not fit well.

I buy military pop flare pouches off ebay for the pouch. They are MOLLE compatible and fasten to gear (assuming you are using MOLLE compatible gear) for carrying the suppressor when its not mounted to your rifle and are about 12.00-15.00 ea. However they are fairly long, so if your suppressor is short it may not fit well.
same--- I take thick open cell foam and cut a small square piece and shove it to the bottom of the pop flare pouch-- it fills the "extra" room in the pouch when using short suppressors --I would say that the pop flare pouches are a good fit for 10" or longer suppressors, any shorter and youll need to fill the space just a bit or it slides up/down in the pouch--but for $15-20 they can't be beat for carrying/protecting a cool suppressor

same--- I take thick open cell foam and cut a small square piece and shove it to the bottom of the pop flare pouch-- it fills the "extra" room in the pouch when using short suppressors --I would say that the pop flare pouches are a good fit for 10" or longer suppressors, any shorter and youll need to fill the space just a bit or it slides up/down in the pouch--but for $15-20 they can't be beat for carrying/protecting a cool suppressor

Can I get a picture of the pouch. Thanks

here's one

Attachments

• pop flare pouch.PNG
    pop flare pouch.PNG
    129.3 KB · Views: 169
Like people said.. get the cover. I had bought a TAD Gear custom cover a long time ago.. but now I think there are a lot of options. I think even Magpul got into the game of suppressor covers..

Armageddon Gear cover for my SiCo Omega. It's for a bolt gun and mirage was terrible before I got the cover. But the cover does act as an insulating blanket, so I pull the cover back to let the suppressor cool off between strings of fire.

For full auto I don't think I would bother with a cover. That's going to generate a lot of heat and getting the suppressor to cool off would be a priority.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.