Suggestions for best field range finding for long range hunting

MTsmith

I have a pair of the Leica rangefinding binoculars but have found that they have challenges rangefinding in fog and cold weather. I'm looking for suggestions for a good reliable field range finder for hunting situations out to 1200 yards.
I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions.

If you want a GREAT deal on a Rangefinder binocular we got in a barely used (customer used it on 1 hunt and then traded it in) still would have new warranty and comes in the box as original
Leica 8x56 HD-B 3000 Geovid for only $1,599.99

Attachments

• 8x56.jpg
    8x56.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 8x561.jpg
    8x561.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 8x562.jpg
    8x562.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 133
I use two different LRFs.
My main, go-to is a Leica 1600B that I have had for years. Small, light, fast, super accurate out to 1800+. I do not use the BC calculator in it though.
My other is a G7 BR2. It is always within 1 yard of the 1600B. A bit bigger, but has far better shooting solutions. I know a BUNCH of guys that use one, and they are spot on once you input real world load data.

I don't have any issues with cold (to -10°), but fog is a different story.

My current Leica's are the Geovid's 10x42 HD-B... I bought them through Doug at Camera Land approximately 4 years ago. Curious if I should attempt to send them in for inspection and possible repair or is this the "normal" limitation of them? I can understand the fog being a factor but not working in the cold weather is certainly an issue. At first, I thought that I had just left them in the truck overnight and they were too cold for the battery to work well so I started being certain to bring them in overnight. Yet, I m still having issues with them working if it's less than 25 degrees even with a brand new battery. Send them in or should I just consider them a fair weather rangefinder and move on to a different pair? Thanks for the help in advance..

I really like the Sig 2400ABS. I got rid of my Leica after using the Sig. I have used it below -20 hunting coyotes and haven't had any issues in the cold. I doubt any rangefinder works well in fog?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.