Sucker for 6.5s

I was a sucker for 6.5 before 6.5 was cool. WOW! That would make a good country song. My first 6.5 that I fell in love with was 6.5x55 in the old 96 Swede Mauser about 35 or so years ago. Even with the lower pressure loads with that 29" barrel you can achieve pretty high velocity. I found one that someone had already started hacking on and sported it and left the barrel alone. I have killed deer waaaaaaaaaaaaay across bean fields with it shooting 120s at 2950 fps and 140s at 2800 fps. I have some 6.5x55s, 6.5 Grendel's and one long barrel 27 3/4 264 Win mag. This pretty much covers the 6.5 spectrum of my needs.
Do I have your permission to send this to Barbra Mandrell and see if she could do something with it, LOL 😂

I bought my first 6.5 bore (260 Remington) in 1998 and fell in love with it. I've since followed up with a 260 in an Encore pistol, a 6.5 Grendel AR, a 6.5 Grendel in Howa mini bolt, a custom 6.5-284 Remington 700 and most recently a R700 5R Gen 2 and currently having a 6.5x47 Lapua built "for my wife". :cool:

I also have a Proof Sendero 28" 6.5mm 8 twist blank that I'm trying to figure out what to build with it. Currently leaning toward a .264 Win Mag since I have brass and dies. I've been playing around with a 6.5mm wildcat based on the 300 Norma parent case but i'm told probably 300-350 rounds of barrel life so i don't know that i want to burn up a Proof barrel that quickly.

I bought the CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and love it. The low weight of the carbon fiber wrapped barrel in 24" length to take advantage of longer range than my 6.5 CM was the goal. I recently shot a 3 shot group with this gun that measured .25" ctc! With a 3x18 Leupold vx6-hd and Talley rings/mount, the gun weight is exactly 8.0 pounds.
What's not to love?!

I started with the 260 Rem several years ago with a special edition Sako TRG 22 made for Eurooptics. That gun shoots so nice with about anything you feed it. I then went to a 6.5 Grendel, 2 6.5 Creedmoors, and a 6.5 GAP 4S (SAUM). I just recently acquired a R Bros LW Hunter 6.5 PRC, #3, 24" barrel, 8 twist, light weight Manners EH6 stock and Jewel trigger. The gun weighs just over 8 lbs with the scope and rings. Wow, does this gun shoot! It shot factory 147 ammo almost in the same hole. I developed a Berger 144 LR Hybrid load and a Berger 156 EOL load that sub 1/4 MOA. I can't wait to take this on my Black Bear Hunt in September.

I shoot a lot of long distance steel from 500-1600 yards. The 6.5s are my go to rifles.

I've had the itch for awhile to add another 6.5 to the safe & finally pulled the trigger this week. Not 100% I made the right choice which tells me later this year I'll probably add another 6.5. I was between the tried & trued 6.5-284 & the new 6.5 prc both in a CA ridgeline. In the end I went with the prc burnt bronze 8 twist 24" barrel. The plan is for this to be my main hunting rifle so the 2" less barrel length appealed to be. I know all rifles are different but anyone shooting a 6.5 prc ridgeline in here & if so what's it like?
I shoot the 6.5 PRC in the BA Tactical, which is the same family. Love mine, it shoots the precision hunter between .5 and .75 and the match between .3 and .5. Its good stuff. Its my main big game rifle now. Mine has the 4-24x52 VX6HD and weight just over 9lbs.

I have a custom 6.5-284 with a 26" barrel and I bought a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC last year due to the availability of factory ammo on the shelf. Both are great shooting rifles. The Ridgeline shoots the Hornady 143 Precision hunters around 3/4 MOA and I think the weak link there is the ammo. I've seen an ES of 86 fps at the range. I haven't started to work a load up for it yet due to time constraints but will this year. I was able to take my first Coues deer at 630 yards with it last year so I'm very happy with it. I also picked it up on sale and got a $100 CA gift card so that was nice. Mine is black and SS but I really wanted the burnt bronze. That's a sweet looking rifle. I don't think you went wrong with your choice.

I just added a 6.5x284 to my 6.5 CM. I'm curious what loads some of you shoot in your 6.5/284 using 140g.ish bullets.

I firsst started shooting the 6.5/06 in 1975 it was a honey sold it 20 years later and then had a 6.5/06 both on FN commerical actions. with real good triggers sold the imp due to to much troble in cases. Now i went back to the regular on a remington 700 action and stock I am ver happy.. But never put the 6.5 Remington Mag in a slow class. It is better than all the above with a long action with the exception of the 264 . which is the KING of all the 6.5's

I firsst started shooting the 6.5/06 in 1975 it was a honey sold it 20 years later and then had a 6.5/06 both on FN commerical actions. with real good triggers sold the imp due to to much troble in cases. Now i went back to the regular on a remington 700 action and stock I am ver happy.. But never put the 6.5 Remington Mag in a slow class. It is better than all the above with a long action with the exception of the 264 . which is the KING of all the 6.5's

Montana west, I'm looking at a 6.5-06 on gunbroker, built on a 700 action. I was looking at a ruger no 1 as well, but the person who had it built couldn't remember if it was an 8 twist or a 9 twist. He's 82 years old, and said he had it rebarreled 30 years ago on a whim, and then didn't hardly shoot it after he got it back. Also looking at a zastava with a Shaw barrel. Kind of thinking about buying a ruger 77 hawkeye, and just having it rebarreled myself. The gunsmith that I regularly uses said he generally uses Douglas or Shilen barrels, but just don't know which way to go.

I have a 1979 model 70 264 win mag & a custom built on a weatherby mark v action. Using a 28" barrel 8 twist. I really was excited about this build & wanted to love it but man it's been a pain in the arss...

MTank I think a 1 in 9 twist is better for the 264.win mag the 1 in 8 is for heavy bullets for paper shooting.. Hunters may need a lighter bullet like a 130 grain for up to elk and a 140. Another thing all guns are different and some just wont shoot like you want.. If you not shooting paper and for general huntin the 1 in 9 is the best and winchester used it in the original 264 win for a reason. It was a hunting rifle for the plans and the bean fields.

I have a custom 6.5-284 with a 26" barrel and I bought a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC last year due to the availability of factory ammo on the shelf. Both are great shooting rifles. The Ridgeline shoots the Hornady 143 Precision hunters around 3/4 MOA and I think the weak link there is the ammo. I've seen an ES of 86 fps at the range. I haven't started to work a load up for it yet due to time constraints but will this year. I was able to take my first Coues deer at 630 yards with it last year so I'm very happy with it. I also picked it up on sale and got a $100 CA gift card so that was nice. Mine is black and SS but I really wanted the burnt bronze. That's a sweet looking rifle. I don't think you went wrong with your choice.
Have you looked @ copper creek ammo? They have several options for the 6.5 prc . From 127 Barnes to 156 bergers.

little bighorn: this will help today my neighbor reloads in my shop and uses my chronograph uses the 6.5/284. today with a 140 serria game king 54.5 gr of IMR 7828 primers look good no show of pressure 3050. I shoot the 6.5/06 with 52 gr the same powder 3020. my bl is 25" the 6.5284 has a 24"bl. I also get almost the same results with H 1000. a good guide is the powders that work best in the 25/06 also work best in the 6.5s including the 264. this round is a true magnum without the belt just like the 25/06-6.5/o6 6.5 rem mag and the ole but great 270 winchester. mmay I add reloader 25 .

About 60 yrs. ago I shot my first deer with a .264 Mag. I have always prefered the 6.5 and have a .260 Encore, a cannon breach pistol in 260 (cannot think of the name), a Model 7 in .260, 2-6.5 X 284's, 4-6.5 Creedmores, and 2-6.5 Grendels in Howa Minis.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.