Subsonic .223

OK here's my situation, I'm trying to run a subsonic 223 bullet. The bullet I'm using is 55g cast lead with a gas check. Right now, I'm using trail boss powder 2.8 grains if I shoot a 10 shot string I end up with one or two shots that are 50 ft per second high or low. I'm weighing each charge, my average velocity is running about 985 this is perfect as it gives me a fairly good and super quiet load, but the accuracy sucks. Does anybody have any thoughts on another direction that I could go with this or another powder to use I know trail boss is widely used in cowboy shooting and I have a lot of it, but I also have red dot, unique and a few others. Just for looking for something that I can shoot that's extremely quiet.
I have not loaded any sub 223, as you are experiencing there is not much sub data on 223. I had same issue, and as some have already stated you have to check many things to be effective. That said I have 300 blackout for sub loads, im using aa1680 11.0g pushing a 208 eld with a magnum primer. Very effective at short range(under 100yds) it will shoot out to 100 but about all it will do accurately. This is what I went with for sub. Everything else I load is supersonic. I did try some 308 subs at one point but could not achieve consistent bolt operations in a AR-10. 308 subs are great in a bolt gun but to get good operation out of gas operated system I would have to spend alot on a good adjustable gas system so I decided to build the 300 blackout instead. Good luck to ya!

I have not loaded any sub 223, as you are experiencing there is not much sub data on 223. I had same issue, and as some have already stated you have to check many things to be effective. That said I have 300 blackout for sub loads, im using aa1680 11.0g pushing a 208 eld with a magnum primer. Very effective at short range(under 100yds) it will shoot out to 100 but about all it will do accurately. This is what I went with for sub. Everything else I load is supersonic. I did try some 308 subs at one point but could not achieve consistent bolt operations in a AR-10. 308 subs are great in a bolt gun but to get good operation out of gas operated system I would have to spend alot on a good adjustable gas system so I decided to build the 300 blackout instead. Good luck to ya!
I played the ar10 game with subs and it just doesn't work. A fully adjustable gas block, and a can for added back pressure, and it was still just a manual cycle setup. The only thing I didn't try was a very low pressure recoil spring, which may have allowed it to work.

I shoot 300 AAC subsonic with 220 gr jacketed quite different from you however I played around with velocity to get the best accuracy. Mine turned out to be 1050 fps. Still plenty quite. Also, you could try different seating depths with the suggested crimping.

If it were me asking the same question, I'd want future me to recommend you quit messing around with subsonic .223 loads, and use the cartridges better suited to subsonic rounds like 300 blackout.

A subsonic .223 is basically like a .22lr.

A subsonic 300blk running a 220 grain bullet is like a more aerodynamic 45ACP.

If it were me asking the same question, I'd want future me to recommend you quit messing around with subsonic .223 loads, and use the cartridges better suited to subsonic rounds like 300 blackout.

A subsonic .223 is basically like a .22lr.

A subsonic 300blk running a 220 grain bullet is like a more aerodynamic 45ACP.
Well I guess somebody loads a 55gr 22LR. that being said it's a lot more challenging to reload 22s, and even though i have about a pallet of 22 lr. I don't personally reload them. I find some value in shooting my 223bolt gun. Its great practice. I also shoot .308, 30-06, .35rem,45-70 and a few others subsonic. with the appropriate can they are all a lot of fun. Ive been shooting for about 50 years and I'm darn glad nobody ever told me to shoot something or not shoot something. There is always something to learn no-mater what your shooting.

Well I guess somebody loads a 55gr 22LR. that being said it's a lot more challenging to reload 22s, and even though i have about a pallet of 22 lr. I don't personally reload them. I find some value in shooting my 223bolt gun. Its great practice. I also shoot .308, 30-06, .35rem,45-70 and a few others subsonic. with the appropriate can they are all a lot of fun. Ive been shooting for about 50 years and I'm darn glad nobody ever told me to shoot something or not shoot something. There is always something to learn no-mater what your shooting.
That's true...sometimes we don't have to have a good reason. Sometimes it's just because we want to. I'm still cranking out 9mm ammo with components that I bought back when primers were $30/1k. Now with primers as expensive as they are, eventually reloading 9mm will be basically the same cost as factory ammo. And I'll probably still reload just because I like it. Not because it makes sense...so I'm guilty too.