.223 Bullets

I just bought 250 of the 55 gr Nosler BT online at Scheels. I just checked. They don't show the 55 gr BT, but they have the tipped 55 gr Varmageddon variety.

I picked up some 50 gr Nosler BT at my LGS just this week. I've seen them in 2 stores now.

With the 1:8" twist, you could try the Hornady 75 gr ELD-M. They shoot great in my 22-243. I've also seen these available both online and in stores.

With an 8 twist, I would be shooting one of the 70ish grain bullets I think. They would give you the mass to stretch out to 650 yards and handle some wind. Berger makes a few very nice bullets in the 70 grain range. Their 73 grain boat tail would be a great choice. Since your 300+ yards, I would pick a boat tail design.

I'm down to my last few 55gr Nosler BTs.
What's a good target bullet for the .223.......out to 650 yards

Ruger 1/8 twist 22" barrel

Thanks
Mike
According to Berger your 1-8 can shoot 80.5 gr full bore. I use them in a 1-7.7 twist and they shoot holes in holes at 200

Field and Streams has cases of them I. Factory ammo. Just make sure the primers are in the correct way.

Attachments

• 20220521_151120.jpg
    20220521_151120.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
Speer if you're wanting to stay at 50 grains or there about is a good bullet and inexpensive. Hornadys another. Both shoot very well in my one in nine twist. if you're just shooting holes in paper no need to pay extra money.

Speer if you're wanting to stay at 50 grains or there about is a good bullet and inexpensive. Hornadys another. Both shoot very well in my one in nine twist. if you're just shooting holes in paper no need to pay extra money.

I shoot 69 SMKs in my 24" 1:9" AR @ 3033fps. Steel out past 850 a lot. 1K occasionally. Coyotes hate them too.
The 77 SMKs would work well in a 1:8" too.

As others have stated, with 1:8 twist you have a lot of options. I have had very good luck with sierras 69 grain, 73 bergers and 78 grain hornady. These heavier bullets buck the wind better at longer ranges and are very easy to load for in .223. Many possibilities depending on what you can find.