Stupid Question

jkward

I am trying to mount a scope, I bought Leupold bases and rings. But I am only able to achieve approximately 12 MOA up and 70 MOA down with my scope. I used a ballistics calculator and with my rifle and the ammo I am using that is not nearly enough for the distance I want to shoot. I am sure that there is a simple solution, but this is my first build and I'm lost. Thanks for any help.

Mount the scope, take it out and shoot at 50yards, then 100. I would use a tall target and aim at the very bottom at 50yrds. I would imagine your scope is already dialed all the way up. Just spin it a few revs down so your in the center and have about 40 either way. Should get. You on paper at 50.

I am trying to mount a scope, I bought Leupold bases and rings. But I am only able to achieve approximately 12 MOA up and 70 MOA down with my scope. I used a ballistics calculator and with my rifle and the ammo I am using that is not nearly enough for the distance I want to shoot. I am sure that there is a simple solution, but this is my first build and I'm lost. Thanks for any help.

Hmmmmm, not sure I 'fully' understand the situation. Its a bit early here and I was up late........

12 up and 70 down = 90 total.

Figuring that you have zeroed at some distance and get the 12 up/70 down from the zeroed turret setting something is amiss. One would think the zero setting would be a bit more towards the center (45 up and down).

The plane of the action seems canted, the wrong way??

If two piece bases are being used the scope may be in a bit of a bind.

A visit to a local reputable gun smith may be in order.

Isn't the shooting sport such fun.....:)

12 MOA won't be very fun, something must be out of wack. It sounds like your using two piece base, is there a front one and a back one? Kinda sounds like a canted base on backwards or two different height bases reversed in what position they should be on the action.

Duh. You didn't say what bullet your using, the muzzle velocity, or how far you're trying to shoot. You didn't say at what distance you're trying to zero the rifle at or the height of the centerline of the scope above the bore. You didn't say what rifle, bases, and rings you're using.

For most high power rifles being able to adjust the scope's line of sight from 12 MOA above parallel to the bore line to 70 MOA below parallel to the bore line is just about ideal for typical hunting distances, but maybe not for extreme range shooting. If you're saying the line of sight adjusts from 70 moa higher than parallel to the bore to 12 moa below parallel to the bore then you have a serious problem with your scope bases or rings. The problem isn't likely to be the rifle or the scope.

At some distance any scope runs out adjustment range You won't adjust the the reticle on target from 50 to 2000 yards with an 82 MOA scope with any cartridge/bullet/ velocity combination I'm aware of. Not all scopes are symmetrical in their adjustment range. Not all rifles have their standard scope bases parallel with the bore. Tapered bases are available for many rifles to squeeze out the maximum usable range, but you can't determine that by guessing the characteristics of the scope or rifle.

Maybe I misread this, but fom what I unDerstand he has mounted the scopes and is checkif clicks in either direction. I don't think he has zeroed his rifle. Could you please clarify this. If you haven't zeroed the rifle. Do what I said in my previous post. If your zeroed at 100 with this setting... Your scope should be resembling a banana.

I was able to go out and sight it in this morning the wind finally slowed down. I now have 30 MOA up and 40 MOA down. My estimates earlier were approx. . I guess I was doing something wrong with my bore sight. Thank you for all of your input.

Boresighting is usualy only useful for getting windage on and elevation roughly. Hard to be more precise.

Glad to hear it worked out or you, try getting a 20, or 30moa base. That will give you enough elevation for for way past 1k with most cartridges.

According to my drop chart, with the MOA I have now I should be able to get out to about 700 yds. I have not tried yet, but that will be plenty for what I am doing. I just started reloading and I am going to try and test out some rounds today...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.