Stock for savage 111 LA DBM (desperate)

M_Shock

Fellas,

Like the title says I'm looking for a replacement stock for my savage. It's a model 111 Long action Detachable box mag center feed. I've searched high, low and everywhere in the middle... Does anyone out there know if one exists. Hell, I'd even settle for an accu-stock if they made one for that configuration. But I can't even find one of those. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Matt

The accu stock isn't cross compatible with older versions...
If you are handy with tools to do the inletting for the DBM, Boyds makes a nice laminate stock.
Check Stockys too.
Numrich gun parts....

This is the newer version (center feed), but I don't think they made any accu-stocks with dbm. The only models that I see on there site with the accu-stock is ones with the hinged floor plate.

I don't really want to have to inlet anything, just want a direct replacement. (No skills)

I do seem to recall seeing long action replacement stocks for the new center feed but only for internal boxed models. Is there a way for me to convert my gun to that?

Thanks,
Matt

click on that midway ad up there, they sell complete blind mags.
If you are looking for laminate Boyds is the least expensive...
otherwise B+C you can buy from midway also.
Have you checked at Savageshooters.com?

I can't seem to find where a conversion mag kit would be on midway. Can you post a link?

Plus i just looked threw all there savage stocks and the only one that specifies center feed is for a short action! Its hard to believe that stock manufactures are still only making stocks for the older savages? There has to be some demand for stocks with the new center feed type actions.

I'm getting to the point where I'm about ready to just sell this thing and go pick up a rem 700. At least I know I could find aftermarket for it...

Savage Arms Magazine Box 30-06 Length Model 110, 111 Long Actions - MidwayUSA
This is for the 25-06, 270,30-06 group

Savage Arms Magazine Box Standard Magnum (300 Winchester Magnum) Model 110, 111 Long Action - MidwayUSA
This is for the magnums

Click on suggested products and it will take you to the sping and follower that you need with it.
totals about 15$

Don't worry about that stagger feed bit it's a cya.
It will work. you will have to shim the magazine in place, use cardboard, duct tape whatever, then make sure rounds feed properly.
once you have it dilaed in, then make it more permanent.
I take it the plastic original is giving you kittens?

Thanks for the links! I think that's exactly what I've been looking for. So this will essentially turn my dbm center feed into a blind mag staggered feed? Or is it just changing it to blind mag but still center feed? Sorry, I hope that makes sense. I don't have a whole lot of experience with modifying guns.

Either way it's good to know that I can make both work in the older stocks. I knew there had to be some way around it haha. Ya that tupperware junk from the factory is such crap! Good to know an alternative.

Thanks for your help and patience,
Matt

Last year I replaced my flimsy stock on my Savage. This is where I found my replacement. Stockade Gun Stocks - specializing in custom rifles. Give them a call and let them know what you are looking for. Also with their instructions I was also to convert my detachable magazine to a blind magazine with no additional parts. It works flawlessly! I went with a money saver stock and finished it myself. There was a wait for it to be made, but it was worth it!

How hard is it to finish the stock yourself? I've never done any finishing work like that so I wouldn't want to screw it up. Care to share on these instructions for converting dbm to blind mag?

Thanks,
Matt

It was pretty easy. They sell a fill kit that has includes a two part epoxy filler, sand paper and instructions for use. My stock had small voids on the surface that needed to be filled and sanded. I mixed the epoxy filler all at one thinking that I would have time to apply it. That was a huge mistake, so I used JB Weld. It worked great. After I had a relatively smooth finish I ended up using a textured paint made for spraying on plastics. (This paint covered areas that I did not want to take the time to make perfect). I then sprayed a matt gloss clear finish to seal the paint. I have had no problems with the finish abrading my cheek during recoil. The has been no wear on the paint so far. It has gone through one hunt and plenty of trips to the range.
I did have to replace one stock screw as the new stock was thinner in one area. I went to Lowes and picked up one.
The stocks are not cheap (to me) but well worth it. My Savage has the original barrel is free floated in this new stock with no modifications.

It'll be centerfeed.
I did a bunch of work to improve my tupperware. Call it an excercise in futility.
Keep me posted on the project.
Silas

Okay thanks for all the info. Now I just have to decide on what I want to do. I'll update this thread when I have progress.

Thanks,
Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.