Stock features

4ked Horn

Here is another semi vauge question for beginners and experts alike.

What do you like or don't like about the different stocks you have used or seen. Stuff like a special grip angle or a non sloping fore-end or Hollands 3/8" cast off. Anything like that.

I am putting together ideas for a custom stock. And I do mean custom as in I will eventually hand shape one. It will be out of a high quality hardwood laminate. It will be on something like a .280 ackley imp and its main use will be off the field bench or bi-pod. this will not be used for long walks because I don't like to walk any farther than I have to (that is why I'm building this gun
grin.gif
). It might have an adjustable legnth of pull but probably not an adjustable cheek.

OK everyone, lets hear it.

[ 02-03-2004: Message edited by: 4ked Horn ]

The only things this stock has to do is fit you. Whatever you like, is fine. I build most of my own stocks and really like thumbhole grips. Length of pull, check rest, is all sized to fit me on the bench.

Richards Microfit has some very nice designs. Have a look for a shape that pleases your eye then if possible, try different stocks to see which fits your body shape and style of shooting. Adjust accordingly.

The only suggestion I will give is to make the foreend and butt as close to parallel and flat as possible. This will help ride the bags better. If doing more bipod/rear hand support, then a angled butt is better ie tactical style stocks.

Stocks are where custom really is custom.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Richards micro fit is probably going to buy my blank. I love the grey and blue parrwen but my practical side says to stick with the brown or grey wood.

I will probably make a mock up out of balsa or pine before carving into a $100 chunk of wood.

In what order do you coordinate inletting and bedding and grip to trigger distancing and comb forming.

Have you made a stock out of laminated hardwood? If so how do you rough out the shape after sawing out the profile. Do you rasp it or sand it with a drum, disc, belt sander? Draw knife maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.