Stock Choice for Heavy Sporter build

I am shooting for an 8lb bare rifle. I think I am going to put a VX-6 3-18x44. The bartlein #3 weighs 3.5 lbs @26in unless you flute it. Thanks for the info

I forgot to mention that my barrel is flutted. I don't think that I save 1/2lb, so maybe my figures are off by a little.

I just spoke with the guys at Stiller and they said that the Predator action was just slightly heavier than the Rem 700 (LA) 2 lbs 6 oz.

I have a 300 Win mag built on a Rem 700 with a #3 Barlein 5R barrel at 26"(Unfluted) with brake, HS Precision stock, timney trigger and VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS scope and it weight 9-3/4 lbs with sling attached.

You are going to have to go to a McMillan edge stock or Manners stock to drop some weight. They weigh 24-26oz so that would give you about 13 oz less weight just in the stock.

Fluting the #3 barrel would only reduce the weight of the barrel by 1.5-2 oz at most. This comes straight from Bartlein.

I'm going to be changing out my stock for a McMillan edge stock soon.

I am really torn on what size barrel I should go with I have it narrowed to either #3 or #3B which is difference between 3.5 lb and 4 lb. I don't want a vertical grip stock. I have been looking a Mcmillan rem classic or rem hunter with or without edge fill. The decision on barrel is tough as I still want accuracy but don't want a truck axle to pack around. I am not planning to use this gun for any shooting over 700 yds.

My 6.5x284 is a long 700 , fluted bolt and fluted Rem Sendero profile barrel. McMillan Gamescout edge fill , standard BDL bottom metal , NF SHV 5-20 in NF rings , weighs under 10.5 lbs including an Atlas bipod.

Don't stress about losing a ton of weight on one part , just save ounces where you can without ending up with something you don't like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.