Stiller Actions?

stanley52

Ok so I am putting together 300 Win Mag.

1) Hart Fluted Rem. Varm. Contour (.83) 1:10 Twist 26" Finish
2)Timney Trigger
3) Score High Tactical Break
4) Haven't decided Stock yet.
5)Stiller Predator Action?

So far I am thinking a Stiller Predator action. Comes pre-cut for a Wyatt Internal Mag so that I can load those 210-230gr chunks way out there and set it just off the lands, but I am just a little skeptical. I have heard Stillers are solid, but just not quite top tier. That is acceptable as I can get a LA Predator with a recoil lug and rail for $930 shipped, but what worries me is that you have to use their rails, which do not have recoil lugs, and they use 6-48 screws, not 8-40. Does anyone have experience with these actions, especially on heavier calibers? Can anyone put these doubts to rest and tell me these actions are worth it? Or should I get out now, and go buy a Defiance Deviant Action for $1400 shipped? I would prefer not to spend the extra $500 for a .0001 MOA accuracy increase if you know what I mean... Unless they really are that much better? Thanks

If the absolute top tier actions are rated 100....Then a Stiller is a 98 1/2 or 99.

Id forget the Timney trigger and go with a jewell.

Ive read enough times on this BB where guys brag about their rails being "pinned" etc...etc.. and its a bunch of crap! If the rail isnt "installed" ( can be just placed on the action and clamped even) align drilled and a press fit pin installed...then the pin idea for a scope rail is a lot of ********......if you will excuse my "french"

I have a new still Predator LA in 300 win going together as we speak. I will tell you I have no issues with their rails at all. I plan to skim bed it on, I do all rails, and they come with two dowel pins drilled and ready to install along with the 4 6x48 screws. I think this will be a very solid platform for any chambering. I have no worries at all.

The recoil lug is also pinned, but is of factory thickness. Again I see no issues as it is made of good material and if bedded correctly should be fine.

These come with very nice machining, a perfectly fitted M16 extractor, a nice clean looking side bolt release, and are trued and ready to go.

All for under a grand, what's not to love?

Jeff

I appreciate you guys giving prompt responses. You put my doubt to rest. Drop my Timney and grab a Jewell huh? Its my impressions that Jewell's are great for BR competition, but as soon as they get a little sand, dirt, or grit in there they like to fail. I have heard Timney's deal with the environment a little better, and this rifle will be environmentally abused a little.

I appreciate you guys giving prompt responses. You put my doubt to rest. Drop my Timney and grab a Jewell huh? Its my impressions that Jewell's are great for BR competition, but as soon as they get a little sand, dirt, or grit in there they like to fail. I have heard Timney's deal with the environment a little better, and this rifle will be environmentally abused a little.

I use , install and set up many of both. What you heard is exactly true. However the Jewels do have a better break. Give the jewel a good flushing with cig. lighter fluid and air dry to keep her working well. But let dirt or cleaning solution get in her and she will fail. The Timney is a very nice trigger as well. But it is not a Jewel.

Jeff

How does a Timney stack up against a tuned X-mark pro trigger? I am relatively new to the world of long range shooting, so I have dozens of questions and am completely open to those with more experiences opinions.

How does a Timney stack up against a tuned X-mark pro trigger? I am relatively new to the world of long range shooting, so I have dozens of questions and am completely open to those with more experiences opinions.

I have gave up trying to get an X-Mark to meet my expectations. I will take a Timney any day first.

Jeff

We ordered 3 Stiller actions and they work fine. We used 2 for 300 RUM and had no problems with the actions or the rails. They both shoot exceptional. We also decided on Jewel triggers over the Timney triggers, not that there is anything wrong with them, just a personally preference.

Stiller actions are great...mine is a 308 set up for pigs and what-nots...aka truck gun and it feeds flawless and cycles with ease.

I have the rail just because and went with the jewell as I like how they work the best for my trigger finger.

Just the other night went out and way-laid some hogs for perm sleep....

I went with a Stiller for my build as I was trying to keep costs to minimum. After having it for a while, I can see some of the minor issues that I have heard are not there on top tier stuff like the defiance. I doubt there would actually be much, if any accuracy difference, but they still bug me. One is that the ejector hole has micro rough edges that prematurely leave a slight ejector mark on my brass, which can make detecting pressure difficult. The other big one is that my bolt lugs are not making 100% contact. According to Stiller, lapping the lugs voids the warranty as well...

I am completely happy with their bases, but with high recoil guns and muzzle brakes, I would either pin or bed the base to the action.

If I had to do it again, I think I would open up the wallet and let loose of a few extra $$$ and get a Definace with the integral rail.

Just my $.02

Joel

Ok so I am putting together 300 Win Mag. ..........

1) for $930 shipped, but what worries me is that you have to use their rails, which do not have recoil lugs, and they use 6-48 screws, not 8-40. Does anyone have experience with these actions, especially on heavier calibers......

No you don't, Murphy Precision offers Stiller Rails in High quality SS or even Titanium in either 6-48 or 8-40. FAR superior to any Stiller rail i've held (I have 2 Stillers & both wear Murphy rails).

http://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Cat/132

These come with very nice machining, a perfectly fitted M16 extractor, a nice clean looking side bolt release, and are trued and ready to go...

Jeff

I wish I would have known that, both of mine are Sako extractors... I'd much rather have the M16, dern it :cool:

Might want to take a look at Shilen triggers too. I have been using them for years and really like them.

Good advice here, I will take my Shilen Match over my Timney any day... I do not like my Timney. IMHO the Shilen is closer to the Jewell than my Timney.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.