Still can't decide on what 2 bullets

busse fan

I want to use 2 bullets in my 300 rum to keep it simple. Game will be deer, black bears, elk and moose. I want one bullet that I can use from 50 yards in a tree stand out to X range where the second bullet will take over. I'm guestimating 3400fps for 180gr bullets, 3200fps for 200gr bullets and 3100 or so for 208 and 210gr bullets.

I suppose first I have to know at what speed a 208gr amax or 210gr berger will expand the way we want them to at the above mentioned game. Is 2200fps to fast? I'm trying to find the fps where the overlap occurs.

A 180gr ttsx at 3400fps will be going ~2100 at 700 yards. the 208, 210 will be going ~2200fps at 700 yards. Is 2200fps to fast for the amax/berger?

On the other hand something like a 200gr ttsx or 200 nab will be going ~1700fps at 1000yards. Is this fps sufficient for reliable good expansion in the ttsx and the nab? If yes, then I could just use 1 bullet out to 1k and if I ever shoot game further than that a amax or berger will be going slow enough to function properly and I won't have to worry about whether it's going to fast at 1k+ correct?

Thank you for your insight.

On the other hand something like a 200gr ttsx or 200 nab will be going ~1700fps at 1000yards. Is this fps sufficient for reliable good expansion in the ttsx and the nab? If yes, then I could just use 1 bullet out to 1k and if I ever shoot game further than that a amax or berger will be going slow enough to function properly and I won't have to worry about whether it's going to fast at 1k+ correct?

Thank you for your insight.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I did (Go to the Accubond).

I use to use the partition at close range (0 to 400 yards) and switch to the ballistic tip for shots over
500 yards because of impact velocities.

After testing the Accubond I found good performance at all ranges and impact velocities over 1500
ft/sec.

Ether the 180 or the 200 grain will do well.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.