Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter

Topshot

I am looking for information on the Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter rifle.

Has anyone had any experience with this rifle?

Hi Topshop

Only found this forum today in my search for some info on the steyr.

I own a pro hunter mark II in 6.5x55 calibre and I like it as a gun.

I do however not like the way the safety bushing moves around when I clean the action with a sinclair lug recess kit. The cotton pads i uses in the tool to clean around the action catch on the safety bushing and it turns when i turn the swab. Then it gets a bit fiddly trying to get it back into position.

This safety bushing is designed to move so its not a mechanical or design problem. I just hate the fiddling around trying to get it back into position so I can seat the bolt in fully ready for use next time...

gun)

Very common rifle here in the UK and Europe. Generally considered built of better manufacture than the typical Remington 700 and its clones.

1 think to note is that Steyr shot themselves in the foot with the first model in that the stock forend is truly awful. We once deliberately sat one out in the sun and returned 30mins later to note how the forend had twisted and now touched the barrel!

Make sure it's either a model 2 or has a replacement stock.

The 6.5x55 is a much respected round and steyr have a long history of creating sweet rifles in this calibre.

I myself own a Steyr SSG69, ProHunter Mod 2 and Scout Tactical.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.