stevens model 200

260remmy

I just ordered a stevens model 200 in .223 I paid $259 for it. anybody know anything about them. I heard it's basically a savage minus the accutrigger. I just wanted a cheap carry around beater gun for yotes and other varmints. Possibly upgrades in the future. will this gun fit the bill and what factory rounds do guys recommend. will be hunting coyotes, small deer and squirrels. any help appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I baught a CZ($465),a Stevens($259) and built an AR upper with a flutted crome lined 20" barrel($185=barrel,$25 gas block-I had the other parts) last winter.
The first outing the Stevens was the clear winner in the accuracy department with the AR a close second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Haveing 5 223s was a tad boreing and because its so easy I baught a SS 204 barrel for the Stevens and now have a great walking varminter that shoots even better than it did when it was a 223/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I realy like the Steven-Savage guns! Thier cheap,shoot well and a guy can do most of the work on them himself.A little tinkering had the trigger pull on that Stevens down to 2.5 pounds wich is about right for a walking/truck gun.The barrel swap to 204 was very easy and I can go back to 223 anytime I chose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Got a little more stock work to stiffen up the flimsy plastic stock and camo it but all in all The Stevens is a great buy!!
newaddition07_1.jpg

once I get some more dough i'll pick up a decent scope and maybe some Black Hills and post how it shoots. thanks for the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sportsmans Warehouse

Sportsmans Warehouse has ben selling Stevens for $259 but ya gota be on the list to get a 223.

Re: Sportsmans Warehouse

I've got one in 300 win mag. Replaced the recoil pad with better one......touched up the trigger. It's a good shooter. It will do 3-3.5" groups at 300 yds with a 3x9 scope.....plenty good for me. Also they are surprisingly light weight.

Big Sky,

Just saw a Stevens Model 200 in .223 listed on Gunbroker for $259.00. The buy now price was listed at $289 the item number is 68522642.

Just thought I'd let you know...Aloha!

Dave

I bought one of these in 30-06, also for $259. I was surprised by how accurate it is, shot a .6 with the first batch of ammo ran through it. The biggest problem I have had with it is it kicks harder than I expected (not what I was looking for in a practice gun), the combo of really light weight and no real recoil pad make for a 30-06 that kicks harder than a 300RUM Sendero.

I have my Model 200 in .308 and it is a good rifle out to 300 yards. Its topped with a leupold 2-7 rifleman and is a true rough and tumble rifle. Love it

Lucas

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.