Stevens 200 rechambered in 7.62x54?

Hooyah292

I would like to convert a Stevens 200 to 7.62x54.
I know there's problems like rimmed base for magazine feed, etc.

If you gentlemen were going to re-barrel a savage what would you do?

From my understanding about the savage weapon system is that I would need

A new stainless barrel(for corrosive ammo)
A new Bolt head
The chamber throat of the action has to be reamed or bored on lathe to 7.62x54
is there anything else that I am missing?

I would really like to build this platform for all that surplus ammo that is out there. I know I can reload, but I really want this chambering. I would like to build a rifle that is capable of being more accurate than the mosin, but while still using the crappy ammo. I am in no regards expecting anything less than battle rifle MOA. Hopefully more though. I have seen some mosins with heavy machine gun barrels and the groupings are excellent. A modern rifle should destroy that mosin accuracy standard.

Thank you all for your time,

H.292

Last edited:
What are you going to do about headspacing? The Savage action isn't well suited for rimmed cartridges. Could do a wildcat that headspaces off the shoulder I suppose, but you'll have ~.125" at the base of the case that's unsupported.

The biggest problem will be the bolt head. The 7.62x54 has a rim diameter larger than the standard magnum. You'll have to find a smith to open a magnum bolt head up a bit.

The rim may also be a problem getting them to fead from a magazine. The rim might catch on the feed lips.

You'll also need the .312" barrel. A standard .308 barrel wouldn't work.

You might be able to fix those issues, but it will be a lot of work just to shoot junk ammo.

The biggest problem will be the bolt head. The 7.62x54 has a rim diameter larger than the standard magnum. You'll have to find a smith to open a magnum bolt head up a bit.

The rim may also be a problem getting them to fead from a magazine. The rim might catch on the feed lips.

You'll also need the .312" barrel. A standard .308 barrel wouldn't work.

You might be able to fix those issues, but it will be a lot of work just to shoot junk ammo.
plus one, here

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts