Stevens 200 300win mag Action

Wachsmann

I have a stevens 200 in a 300 win mag. I wanted to use the action to do a build for a 7mm Rem Ultra mag. It seem the current mag box will not work as it is to short. So my first question is to make this work does the action have to be machined out to get another mag box to work or is most people just shooting them as a single shot. question 2. I been seeing alot of post that the ultra mags have to high of case pressure for the stevens actions but it seems it has been done by several smith alredy. Should I be conserned. I know this is a opinion quesation so I may get alot of different views. I have also considered just going with a 7rem mag and not the ultra which this should just be a barrel swap, head space, as I suspect and may be a whole lot easier change out. But there something about the ultra that just get my blood pumping and its all about the speed.gun)Thanks for any responces.

I think you just have to change the box mag out?

You might check out savageshooters forum and ask there they well know ;-)

You'll need to modify the mag box. Basically you need to slot the front of the box to allow the bullets to protrude.

It's easier to just run it single shot.

The small shank of the Stevens and Savage are just fine for the ultra mags. I've built several for RUM's and WSM's. Don't let anyone convince you different.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.