Steiner Predator 4 vs Predator 8

MLN1963

I'm curious if anyone has experience with either of these Steiner Predator scope lines? If there is any difference in the glass between them? Is the Series 8 worth twice the money of the Series 4? Are they good quality hunting scopes? I'm not the biggest fan of the reticle but can live with it.

Thanks

Great quality scopes. If you need the power ratio of the 8x than it's worth it, if not than save the $$$ get the 4x and use the savings for ammo :)

On the predator 4, 4-16 what do the turrets look like uncapped? I can't seem to find any pictures.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with either of these Steiner Predator scope lines? If there is any difference in the glass between them? Is the Series 8 worth twice the money of the Series 4? Are they good quality hunting scopes? I'm not the biggest fan of the reticle but can live with it.

Thanks
I've got 2 of the predator 6-24 power. Nice scopes for the money. I've only mounted them on Defiance tenacity actioned rifles. With the standard bolt knob make sure you take rifle and scope to pair up with rings as the scopes eye piece gets tight to the bolt knob when trying to hug the barrel with the objective. My son really likes the illumination in the crosshairs but it's pointless to me. If you're going to hunt in timber May want to drop to 4-16 model. My son harvest this doe in tight timber on 6x no problem at 80 yards.

Attachments

• 154CF20D-C9A4-444C-B32F-AA2592358CEE.jpeg
    154CF20D-C9A4-444C-B32F-AA2592358CEE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 93
If the turret cap is removed is it a target type turret? The cap looks tall and makes me wonder if it is I'll likely be getting one.

That is something that I like better about the Predator 8, but it's twice the money. That said, it could be worth twice the money.

I'm guessing it is, seems like the same anyway, still can't say though. According to Steiner the 4 is all German but it's not listed on the scope. Either way the 4 is very impressive, resolution and fov are top tier.

For as popular as the sfp Vx-6hd and 5hd lines are I kinda figured the steiner 8 would be right in the mix. Sure hasn't been near the amount out in the wild. Been burned to much on beta testing, would love to see some in the wild before buying blind.

All I can speak for is the optics and the Predator 4. As far as resolution, fov, and dof goes, imo it's superior to the Leupold 5/6's I have. Currently that's 2 vx5hd's, one in a 44 and the other a 56. Sold a 6hd a while back for the 5's.

Maybe I've got a cherry sample Steiner, but the best I can say is it has a very similar view to a Zeiss diavari fl but with no tunneling on the low power. Actually has better glass that my NF nx8 of that helps.

Kinda hard to believe so many bum scopes outsell these things. That said, they're definitely not for dialing with the low amount of travel they have, they're strictly a hunting scope.

The reason these Steiner Predator Riflescopes aren't more popular is that Steiner's marketing is almost non-existent

Maybe, but for me it's the lack of hands on. The vortex HD lh felt in the hands like a old nikon pro staff with slightly better glass, reviews and marketing was on point but putting one in my hand cured me of wanting one fairly quick. Conversely a few weeks ago a friend showed up with a swaro z3 3-10, didn't take but few minutes with one of those to decide I had to have one for mountain rig.

I can put hands on most if not all the vortex, leupold, nightforce and when there in stock swaro scopes in both the big box stores and a lot of the local stores as well. Burris and steiner haven't really had any inventory of anything on any shelves since the early days of the xtr 2. The last 10 years both those sister companies have had so much change it makes me a little leery. Have had both out of the park scopes, and some that left me scratching my head and mouring my wallet.

Cascade, thanks for the feedback. Tunneling was the big concern. My time with an early nx8 made me appreciate scopes that don't tunnel.... it's a problem with wide range scopes going way back to the burris siX. Have been wondering if that's just a reality of the wide range or someone would find a solution.

All I can speak for is the optics and the Predator 4. As far as resolution, fov, and dof goes, imo it's superior to the Leupold 5/6's I have. Currently that's 2 vx5hd's, one in a 44 and the other a 56. Sold a 6hd a while back for the 5's.

Maybe I've got a cherry sample Steiner, but the best I can say is it has a very similar view to a Zeiss diavari fl but with no tunneling on the low power. Actually has better glass that my NF nx8 of that helps.

Kinda hard to believe so many bum scopes outsell these things. That said, they're definitely not for dialing with the low amount of travel they have, they're strictly a hunting scope.
After owning Zeiss,Swarovski and Steiner I'll never buy a big L again!

Being second focal plane does that mean the E3 BDC reticle is only correct when on max power?

The reticle is what is holding me back right now. All I see is the E3 in all the scopes or the SCR in the P8 4-32x56. I would love the SCR, but I really don't want that big of scope for my rifle.