Steiner Optics

Craig McDonough

Hi Folks,
Just a bit of advice needed, I've followed a lot of articles on people enquiring about scopes and the main players seem to be Nightforce, Leupold, Zeiss, Burris, S & B and a few others, but I've heard or read very little feedback on Steiner scopes.
I was considering a Steiner Tactical scope on my short list, specifically a T5xi 5-25 x 56, has anybody had experience, either good or bad with the Steiner range of scopes...?
Looking forward to some replies.
Thank you.
Craig

Haven't had a chance to look through a Steiner but I have their rings and they are very nicely made. I would recommend the rings without hesitation.

I have a friend who lives in France who has a T5XI and he puts it up there with his PMII

I had one of the first run Steiner T5Xi 5-25×56.
I hated it. Especially for my first "new high end" scope.
Went back 3 times for issues that never got resolved to my satisfaction. Turrets, tracking, reticle was not black (more like light grey), canted reticle, mag ring was way sloppy, floaters inside the lenses, complete garbage for a $2k new scope. Sold it after getting it back the third time with issues unresolved at a huge loss that I only shot about 60 rounds with. I will NEVER recommend them.

Clarity is not quite on par with NF NXS, no way is it even close to Kahles or S&B. Tracking was not accurate past 5 MIL.
SCR reticle is great though. When/if it is actually black.

I have heard they are better now. But they really blew their reputation out of the gate with the release of the T5Xi line.
I will never own another one, no matter what price.

I just bought a T5xi 5-25x56,got it off Amazon for $1409.00. It seems to be a very nice scope,edge to edge clarity is good,glass clarity is on par with scopes in the same price range. Nice turret feel/operation,plus the window system they have on the elevation turret is genius. I like the reticle in it.
The scope tracks really well on a tall target test.
It compares pretty close to all of my other $1800 - $3000 optics so far.

The M5 series is a better scope,but I don't think it's $1k better. I wouldn't pay close to retail for the T5xi,but it's well worth the price that I gave for it.

I had two Steiner scopes and will not ever buy more. I had the P4xi (I think it was 16x) which is a step down from the T series in the tactical line. I loved the glass and build quality, but the FFP SCR reticle was too thick and obstructed the target at maximum magnification. I noticed recently that Burris has come out with an SCR 2 which tries to fix the problem with a floating center dot. We will see how long it takes Steiner to catch on. It was otherwise a good scope but did not retain its value on resale.

The other one I had was a GS3. It had very clear glass and forgiving eye relief but there were black particles floating in the main tube which would stick to the inside of the lenses in a noticeable way. I sent it back twice, they told me they fixed it twice, which they did not. I was very clear as to the problem and event sent pictures. Ultimately I gave up before the third go around. Not sure what the point of a lifetime warranty is if they can't even fix the small problems.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.