Steiner optics?

JJMoody

I went to a local sporting goods store this afternoon to look through some of the upper end glass there. I was specifically hoping they had the Vortex gen II stuff in stock (they didn't), however, the guy behind the counter set out a Steiner T5xi 3-15x50. It had a 34mm tube, large, low profile turrets with a really neat mechanism that showed which revolution you were on and (from what I could tell in the store) very nice glass. It was illuminated and FFP. Retail on it was just under 1500. Not exactly giving them away, but seemed reasonably priced. Anyone have any experience or input on this? I wasn't really looking to confuse myself with another option, but could be an option. Also, apparently they have a factory in Colorado now. Maybe trying th break into the US military market?

Steiner make very good optics.
Only ever shot through one on a 300 RUM a 5-25x56 for memory and was very impressed.
For me the only thing was it was FFP were I prefer SFP personal preference. Also the $$$ was out of my league my be if I sold my kidney I could get one.

Well, the way I understand it, you only need one kidney.... :D. I was very tentatively impressed with this scope and even considered getting to learn the MilRad system. German glass on an American made optic has really got me in a bit of a dilema. Originally, I was set on a Nightforce, then started looking at the Gen II Vortex and thought I would have a winner based on reviews customer service etc... This one does have me thinking. and for about 800 less than the big Vortex.

Last edited:
Go over to the hide, they HATE that optic. Tracking is horrible. Thats a big do not buy. You are better off with either the Bushy LHRS or Burris XTR II with SCR.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.