starting a 11 year old

PEEWEE69

Ok my 11 yr old son wants to start shooting more and longer range . He has a .22 he practices with and a single shot 243 wich is not the best shooter . I was thinking of getting a different 243 for him
What do ya'll think would be a good caliber to get him also this will be his deer rifle

As long as he's interested, and progressing is the main thing. He has experience with a .243 and likes it, there are a lot of youth models out there chambered for .243.

My 6mm as taken a lot of kids first deer or antelope. What does he like? Pull him into process if it's not a surprise.

A bunch of other cartridges in the middle there that work well also.

243 is perfect for a youth. Lots of factory ammo available, it's a reliable deer killer and if you get one with sufficiently fast twist, when you start to reload for it, you can load the heavier bullets and shoot beyond 600yards.

I started both of my boys at age 10 on a 243 with 100 gr partitions. The youngest, now 14, has since graduated to a 260, but the oldest refuses to use any thing but "his" 243.

Chris

Shawn Carlock and his son have made me a believer in the 260 Remington. A good muzzle brake, or better yet a suppressor:), and you'll be good to go. I personally think the 260 Rem. is more versatile than a 243.

On another note, kids can get bored punching paper. Reactive targets are exciting and keep kids interested. There are the usual reactive targets like cans, bottles, eggs, pumpkins etc. Another target that's really cool is to shoot paintballs. Tape them to a sheet of paper and they go 'splat' really well when hit.

I like the Prairie Dog popper, is a hoot to shoot at mid to long range.. As far as caliber I like everything on the .308 case, muzzlebrakes are a plus for numerous reasons.

Thanks for the info guys
My boy just likes shooting and trying to beat his last best group. He does hunt he's taken several deer already
I was maybe thinking on a 280 AI and putting a good break on it

Thanks for the info guys
My boy just likes shooting and trying to beat his last best group. He does hunt he's taken several deer already

280 AI is a great gun. I have an ultralight from mg arms and there is literally no recoil and it weighs under 5lbs.

I have never liked the 243 for kids. It's jut not enough unless good shots are being made and with kids mistakes happen. The only positive I've ever given a 243 for deer hunting it the light recoil. The rifle I really like for kids is a 7mm-08. The rifle has a mild kick and with an added brake it is reduced to little recoil. It can shoot decent ranges if you want to start teaching long range and gets the job done On more than just whitetail.

Thanks for the info guys

Although 280AI is a great cartridge, I would not recommend it for a kid. There's very little factory ammo and to reload for it, you're generally having to fireform the brass. Plus there are few factory rifles chambered in 280AI. This means you would likely have to build a custom rig.

I think a better recommendation is to go with a factory rifle (to start) then work on 'upgrades.' Here's an example of what I'm talking about. It is my nephew's first rifle. He was 13 when he received it.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

If you're willing to put a muzzle brake on the rifle, get your boy a 30-06. There are few cartridges with as much factory ammo available. If you're going to reload, brass it cheap, there are LOTS of bullet choices and load data is easy to find.

A 260 is really hard to beat..
unless your kid steals your 300 norma mag then it's hard to get it back...lol my 13 year old won't give mine back...but he is also a horse of a kid 5 -6" and 160 pounds guess I have a nice 260 now !

Attachments

• 10626691_942735389081754_5880498569909099334_n.jpg
    10626691_942735389081754_5880498569909099334_n.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 66
A 260 is really hard to beat..
unless your kid steals your 300 norma mag then it's hard to get it back...lol my 13 year old won't give mine back...but he is also a horse of a kid 5 -6" and 160 pounds guess I have a nice 260 now !

Correction-you've got a good kid and a nice .260. Good trade!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts