Standard .30 cal range opinions.....

hitsthemark

I have noticed that while most shooters agree that standard .30 calibres ( .308 win and 30-06) will effectively take deer or elk at 300 yards and under, opinions vary when talking 300-600 yards. I would like to hear views on taking deer or elk with these calibres at these ranges.......assuming the shooter hits the boiler room, of course.

It's not uncommon for folks to kill deer at over 600 yards with a 308 Win and a good LongRange bullet. A fella I hunt with uses his 308Win on elk, 2 years back now he killed a cow elk at just over 500 yards with the 308Win. one shot.

There are several things to keep in mind. Firstly, when folks talk of remaining energy they often make the mistake of using Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP) (0 feet above sea level and 59 degrees) when looking at ballistic tables. One needs to examine the charts based on local criteria, 5,000 ft ASL and 40 degrees, or 11,000 ft and whatever.

Secondly is the difference in animal behavior when humans are not detected/able. 400, 500 yards on an unaware animal and their behavior is very different from an animal hit at close range.

Short answer is: hit them in the chest and they die no matter the distance.

I agree with Dave, the .308 is a nasty killer out to 550-650 on deer. We have a "sweet spot" in the 500-550 yard range where the shot placement is very precise and the animals die quickly. Our little group of shooters has taken several deer out at 700 this season, saw one dropped dead a few days ago at 705, with the mighty .308 but they are best shot out there with a .300 magnum.
Depends more on the shooter than the .30 cal cartridge out to 600, a bullet through the chest makes em dead, particularly if you use a bullet that dumps energy out there instead of poking right through.

My longest kill on a deer or any big game for that matter was with a 308 and a 175gr Match King at almost 2700fps , the range was between 618 and 626 yds (two lazers). The shot was on a doe that had been bow shot earlier in the year and had part of the shaft still in the hip joint. The bullet hit square in the center of the chest and exiteda little farther forward breaking the off side shoulder , the exit hole was about the size of a silver dollar and the deer only ran about 30yds. Their were 7 other deer in the pipeline with her and they all kinda just jumped and looked around (at the sound of the bullet impact I'm guessing) but the one that was hit was the only one that ran.

I killed my deer this year using my target 308. Range was 518 yards according to my Leica. Load was a 175 gr MatchKing & 45 grs W748. Double lunged the deer, dead nuts where I aimed and the rest is history. The 308 is fine @ medium ranges.

Thanks Dave. I wanted to ask what bullet(s) were used. I notice many posters use MatchKings at these ranges. I also womder if you know what bullet your friend used on his elk? I would pose the same question about bullet choice to Ian as well.

His name's Mike and he used a 150 (or maybe 165 but I doubt it) Nosler Partition. He hunts in the area of Manassa, CO at about 7,400 ft and over near Osier Park, CO just at 10,000 ft. I recall him saying his father was not impressed with the 308 Win or the bullet apparently because the bullet stopped on the off side of the cow elk, his father's more of a 270 Win fan. This year he killed his third elk with the 308 I sold him, he's also shot a few mule deer there. I have some MatchKings and Lapua 155 Scenars loaded for him too but I believe he used the Partitions up there. They often shoot "excited" critters and shot placement is often whatever is available so I feel better recommending he use the partition. Around here (Maryland) we've (he still learning) used the MatchKings on deer to near 500 yard distances.

This year we have killed mulies with several .30 cal bullets in the mighty .308 Win. Nosler 168 match, Sierra 175 Matchking, Hornady 168 A-Max and Speer 168 match. In hunting bullets we used Nosler 180 Accubond, Hornady 150 and 165 Interbond and some Barnes XLC and Triple Shocks.

All of the match bullets killed cleanly, particularly like the A-Max since they shoot so flat. The 150 Interbonds are also nasty killers. Ranges were from 40 yards out to 710 and we killed a lot of deer.

My choice, probably the new Nosler Accubond in 150 (although we have not killed with them yet, they are very accurate on paper tho), the Hornady 150 Interbond or the 168 A-Max - they are very accurate and they expand quickly and held their mass well.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.