Spring Load Developments

Reelamin

I finally had a little time to shoot some rifles I need to get load developement done on. I only have the next two months then Salmon season opens and that speaks for itself. Figured maybe someone could get something from my work ups. Anyway I have five rifles to fully complete and two to finish/finalize. X Bolt Hells Canyon 30-06, Tikka Ultralight 308, Savage 116 30-05, 2 338 Edges are full development, and a Savage UL 28N, and a Savage 10TSR 300WM I need to finalize. So I load up and head to the bench with five rifles today. Wind in the morning, so didn't go fishing and don't want to do more yard work. I set up and start shooting one rifle for one load then rotate through them and start again.
Start off with the 308 and I dont think she likes 180AB's 10K off to a max velocity of 2600fps. Consistently spread even patterns of nothing under 1.5" or over 2". With factory 165AB's it shoots 1.5-1.7". My first Tikka and not worried yet. Groups not worth a picture just pretty large triangle groups.
First total screw up starts with the 28N. First two shots look like they should and it likes this load a lot. Just need to fine tune it a little to extend brass life. Grab the third cartridge laying under the rifle and what is this screw....hello that looks like my action screw. Well what do you know my freaking front action screw fell out. I had worked and put a new stock on it to get the magazine to fit properly. Clearly the stock had some stretching or settling in to do. Dang that puts it on the back burner. Pretty tight group and it is as expected. Fed215M, 84.5 Retumbo, new Nosler brass, 160AB @3000fps loaded to fit in the magazine.
thumbnail_IMG_6466.jpg 84.5 Retumbo 160AB.jpg
On to the next one XBolt 06. Totally new and 20 break in rounds is all. 180AB's 10K off and only three loads tested. Biggest is 1.2", a .801, and this gem at 2875fps. Could be a total fluke and I will for sure try this one again. Gun shows promise and I'm ok with the start so far.
thumbnail_IMG_6457.jpg
Well I might as well finalize my 300WM now I have the brake back from getting timed/tapered, and the rifle back from the smith getting a sheared off base screw out. WT heck two rounds and I don't even hit the 3x4' target. I bore sighted it and I should have been within a foot at least. I think about going up to the 50yd and start, and notice brass stuck on my chrono front shade rod. What is going on as I look around then look at the rifle. Oh I can clearly see why I did not hit the target, and I am very confused as I had used this brake before it was timed/tapered. No issue at all so what is going on? Later put my ASR brake on and it does not hit...mic the exit on the damaged brake. Yep, .308 and .321 where it is damaged....now I know what is going on. I have only bought 22 and 30cal brakes never anything else. Pretty sure I got the wrong brake back from what I sent in. We will see how it turns out and I am sure it will be taken care of.
thumbnail_IMG_6467.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6468.jpg
Now I am a little bothered as the second never happened before ever to me....is spinning around in my head. Heck I might as well fire up the big dog 338 and see what else I can screw up. Data is not super easy so I had five 250gr Sierra BTSP loaded with four different powders as a start to figure out where I should go. I start shoot and I am blown away....every stinking load is within 50fps of each other and shoot a .5" group. 300RUM R-P brass twice fired and 2K bump pushing all the loads about 2950fps. Bam a lam maybe something will go right today. Shoot the first 300AB load and must be me with a flyer out to the left. Load up my second load 91/H1000, CCI250, ADG new brass, 300AB loaded to fit in the magazine. Don't have length now....think its 3.890 to the tip, and jumping a mile to the lands. I almost stop at the second round to go check the target as my day has had issues and I don't see the second bullet. Let the third one go and I know they are stacked. Yep, a good group at 2750fps from my 26" barrel yet my goal is +2800. I have to say this one is a beast with more recoil than I have had with a hunting rifle. Not impossible just lets you know its not a baby cartridge.
250gr Mix.jpg300AB.jpg300AB 91 H1000.jpg
Then the stinking wind comes back up and I'm done for the day. Hope as we go I can help others. I am happy to post up the load details when I get them settled in to what I want. If someone wants specific info now please let me know. I will tell you I don't spend weeks turning, trimming, cleaning, comparing, measuring, weighing, touching etc. etc. Pretty much load them up and let em rip with basic measurements. The only rifle out of these I using a bushing die is the 338 Edge.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6462.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6462.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 25