Spotting scope

lefty15

I have a buddy that wants to buy himself a new spotting scope. My buddy is prepared to spend $2000.00 to get some good glass.
What would you guys recommend he look at buying?

Depends on what he wants to do with it. If he is just going to take it out of the truck and walk 10 yards and set it up then that is one thing. If he is going to backpack into a remote area with it that is another thing. There is a wide range in weights.

There is a wide range of lenses available. I have two lenses - 21XWA and 32XWA and will probably get another. They all have a functions and purpose. There are advantages to zoom lenses and disadvantages.

Much like rifle scopes and binoculars, the size of the objective will govern the light it admits. If your friend is just shooting benchrest or Pdogs where low light will not be encountered then you will not need a big objective.

In other words a piece of equipment should be selected to fit the need for which it will be used. Compromises will most likely need to be made. If you provide more information on then you will get better answers.

To perhaps add a little information, I use a Kowa 82 mm without the flourite lens. It will work to past legal shooting hours even on an overcast day.
I can count elk tines at a mile and even up to 2500 yards if the light is right.

Lots of people like zoom lens but I have gone to carrying different ones and swapping when I need to. A three container Crystal Light container holds a lens just right and protects it from dust and wet.

This is a heavy scope and is not for crybabies and whiners.:D

You can spend more money and get better optics but the Kowa is very very good.

On a bad day mirage will kill you no matter how much money you spend.

My buddy will be using the spotting scope as a window mount, and at the gun range. He will also be carryinfg the spotting scope with him while hunting in the field.

I like the Optics of both the Swaro and Leica ED Lens Models , but I like the Leica better because of the way it Focuses . However , it is big & heavy ( which is not a concern for me ) !

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.