Spotting scope power question

400bull

I have an old Bushnell 15-45X50 spotting scope that I NEED to replace this summer. I am still searching to find what brand/model I want to get. I am noticing that most models come in 15-45 power or 20-80 power. With my current set up (scope and tri-pod) anything over 35 power is pretty much use less. How many of you have a 20-80 that actually use the scope much above the 45 power settings? I am trying to get a feel if the 80 power is really that use full. I will be using it mostly for scouting deer and elk but I will use it at the range from time to time.

400bull

400 I recently replaced my old Tasco 20-60 with a new Vortex Razor 20-60. I couldn't see 30 cal bullet holes with the Tasco on any power, but at 30 the Razor is crisp and clear. I have only had it out to 500 yards so far and it is truly amazing. I'll have to wait for warmer weather to see how it does with heavy mirage.

I have an old bushnell 18-36x50 in my junk drawer. Do not use it as reference for a good scope's magnification. My bushnell is horrible at 18x and only gets worse as the magnification goes up, but the pair of nikon sky and earth 20-60x80 scopes that I use are great even at 60x..........If you have "good" glass more power is nice.

A good tripod is a good investment. I use the vanguard tracker. It is heavy duty but still moderately priced and very stable.

I recently upgraded scopes from 60mm to 80mm. I don't know all the technical stuff but it seems that there is more to gain by larger objectives than by higher power.
In silhouette matches a straight 27xLER lens is probably the most common. I usually don't go over 30x. Any higher and the image will get bigger but quality of it will start to degrade. Of course the very high end glass would make the most out of the lens size.
There is a formula for figuring the the minimum size that a scope can resolve, and if I remember correctly many scopes will exceed that on the higher powers.
Cliff

i think that good glass makes more of a difference than any power magnification. I will rarely take my swaro above 45x unless i am trying to make out something very small at long range. At the 200 yard range it will usually be at 25 or 30x and can easily make out 22 cal holes.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.