• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED **SPF** Semi Custom Steyr .280 Ackley Improved

the444shooter

I've posted before, but I sold the Zeiss that I had on it, and put a Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 Dead hold on it. This is a Steyr MIII, with dual triggers--rear trigger sets it, and front trigger is LIGHT. I've shot about 30 rounds out of it since I bought it used last year. It was from a gunstore here in TX, and the store owner told me he didn't know who made the barrel. He seemed to think that it was Shilen, but I have no way of knowing. It was originally a .270 Win, according to the mags. It's stamped 280 ACK, and shoots great. The stock has been painted with a textured tan paint, pachmayr decelerator pad installed, and the barrel floated. It comes with 2 mags, Nosler unfired brass (~50rds), about 100 or so fired casings (haven't counted), and 280 Ackley Improved dies. This thing is a pleasure to shoot, and I'm only getting rid of it because I need money for other projects. I'm attaching the latest group I shot with it and the Vortex, and a picture of the gun without scope. I can take pics of rifle and scope if you'd like.

Price Breakdown--

$1500 for the whole package (rifle, scope, rings, dies, brass)
$1000 for everything EXCEPT the scope.

Attachments

• 280 AI no scope.JPG
    280 AI no scope.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 13
  • 280 AI group 100yds.JPG
    280 AI group 100yds.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 13
Re: Semi Custom Steyr .280 Ackley Improved

Do you know the length of the barrel and the rate of twist? Have you shot heavier bullets through it? What kind of dies are going with it? What's the condition of the scope? I assume it came off another rifle.

Barrel length is 26", and a magnum taper (reminiscient of Ruger's 25-06 medium weight bbl). I haven't determined twist, and have only shot the 140gr loads through it. My only complaint with the barrel is that it is a smooth finish, so it shows scratches. Otherwise, this gun really is a pleasure to shoot. The scope could pass for brand new. If memory serves me correctly, the dies are RCBS. I will check again tonight, and can take pictures of all accessories and gun w/ scope if you'd like.

Bump:

Dies are RCBS, all brass is Nosler headstamped 280 Ackley Improved

bump--all PMs and emails replied to.

I measured the twist (albeit roughly) with a cleaning rod, and I kept coming up with 1:10 or thereabouts. I haven't ever shot the heavier bullets out of it, just the 140gr Factory Accubond loading from Nosler. The other bullets I was going to attempt with this gun were the 140gr Berger because of its BC, and the 160gr Accubond.

Attaching pic of gun w/ Vortex as well as the accessories I have for it.

Attachments

• goodies.jpg
    goodies.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 280 profile.jpg
    280 profile.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 9

I would pay 600.00 for just the gun and nothing else.

PM sent Mike, and I appreciate the offer, 7mm but respectfully decline.

Still for sale

I am not a reloader, what would you take for just the gun? Or do you need to sell all together?

Price drop

$900 for gun and dies
$1400 for gun, dies and scope