Southeast spot and stalk/non feeder hog hunting

bultinkle

Anyone have any guide recs or experiences around hog hunting in the Carolina's primarily or southeast that isn't just sitting on a feeder?

No hate on feeder hunting, just not my thing. Looking to do some fun hunts with my dad during the off season. All my private hunting permissions in my area are without hog pressure

Please don't be offended by my question and statement. Have you ever been to the Southeast, Georgia, Alabama, Florida? There's a reason every body hunts over feeders. Its swamps, near jungle like conditions. In many places you can't see ten feet in front of you. No wild hog will ever hang around while you try to sneak up on them. Now there are places in north central Florida that have pasture land with lots of hogs that will fit the bill. But the deep timber and swamps of the southeast is where the hogs hang out until night time. It will be exceedingly difficult. Not telling you not to try. Just letting you know what to expect.

I live in the Carolina's, I haven't hunted in those states. We hunt woods and pasture land here, and while neighbors hunt feeders I do not.

The feeders may not necessarily be my issue. It's sitting in a lawn chair beside a feeder I don't find fun. I have thermal and nvg, I'd like to do some of the stuff you see on YouTube of people scouting around with thermal. Idk, maybe that's unreasonable without my own land.

I'd look into a hunt in south Georgia and North Central Florida. Best shot at spot and stalk daytime hunting. If its night time with thermals, that is a blast. The hogs have come out of the thickets and swamps to tear up the pastures. You can find them and use there equipment.

Fun things can happen at a feeder, course I had some tequila with me so may have been a pigment of my delamination. LMAO
IMG_4802.jpeg

Seriously though, there are quite a few, nighttime / Night vision outfitters in TX, hope there are some in your area. I go to TX regularly for Pig hunts, too much fun. I hope you find what you are looking for. I am sure you would enjoy it.

tx is a maybe, nothing against Texas just a hike and this is an off-season quick trip idea, so the extra driving makes it less quick.

So far I've found one spot and stalk thermal night hunt in Georgia, so I think I can figure out something that will work

I live in N Florida and we have an abundance of hogs…most private land in any amount is spoken for and public land is closed up for the most part once general gun goes out. Simply put, regardless of going with an outfitter or some other hunt…hogs go where the feed is. Don't matter if it's corn from a feeder, acorns, or vegetation. I have stalled them before and if they're feeding and you have the wind right, you can kill em easily. I would not let the feeder thing get in the way of killing a hog if the actual goal is to just kill a hog. If you really want a rush, do it like we do and dig em and knife.

When I put the thermal on and go looking for pigs on my Georgia property, I just scan the fields from the side x side. Then depending how far they may be I might stalk them but most of the time I shoot from the SxS. I would say find some farmers in your area and knock on the doors and ask to hunt for pigs. I personally don't go walking in the swamps at night, I'm allergic to water moccasins and it is easier to see them during the day

Last edited: