South Texas Hogs

Rogue Hunter

Broke in the 28 Nosler XP-100 on game last weekend on a South Texas hog hunt.:D Ranges where between 100-121 yards for the three pigs. The 195 Gr. Berger bullet proved itself to be devastating. -No tracking required.

Thanks for looking!

-Mike

I just noticed you are from Oregon. Did you hire a guide? Lease a Property? Go on family or friends property? Fill us in. Thanks.

I just noticed you are from Oregon. Did you hire a guide? Lease a Property? Go on family or friends property? Fill us in. Thanks.

geo4061

I actually got invited to hunt on a friends property:D

It was my first time to hunt Texas, and I had an amazing time. I enjoyed the change of scenery, along with all the different wildlife that we don't have in out part of the country.- The Texas hospitality was second to none too.

I had just finished up the 28 Nosler build, and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to see how it performed on game. No let downs there...

I'm going to be guiding my Texas buddy that hosted me on a Oregon Black Bear hunt this fall. Hopefully his hunt will be as successful as mine!

I already got invited to come back to hunt Texas again next yeargun)

Here's a better look at the big boar's cutters.

-Mike

Big Cutters for sure, nice Hog.
Your experience can also reveal what this bullet will do downrange from a rifle. What is you muzzle velocity? I would like to hear more about the expansion and penetration, even though your comments express that it worked very well indeed!
thanks

Big Cutters for sure, nice Hog.
Your experience can also reveal what this bullet will do downrange from a rifle. What is you muzzle velocity? I would like to hear more about the expansion and penetration, even though your comments express that it worked very well indeed!
thanks

Muzzle Velocity was 2825 fps. Recovered one bullet. I was a quartering away shot and ended up under the hide on the offside shoulder. it had shed exactly 50% of its weight.
Another shot was perfectly broadside and placed right behind the shoulder. It had an 1-1/2" exit on the opposite side. Big Boar was quartering on, and I placed it in the middle of the on side shoulder. -He even had blood coming out of his ears.
The hogs dropped where they were standing. The internal organs were soup on all three .
- Can't ask for more than that.gun)

-Mike

Muzzle Velocity was 2825 fps. Recovered one bullet. I was a quartering away shot and ended up under the hide on the offside shoulder. it had shed exactly 50% of its weight.
Another shot was perfectly broadside and placed right behind the shoulder. It had an 1-1/2" exit on the opposite side. Big Boar was quartering on, and I placed it in the middle of the on side shoulder. -He even had blood coming out of his ears.
The hogs dropped where they were standing. The internal organs were soup on all three .

-Mike

Good stuff, thanks!
Again, congrats

-Mike

This is awesome information! I'm not shooting a 28 Nosler, but my 7mm SS should be able to get around your firearm's MV which gives me an idea of how that Berger will perform in my rifle on game down here.

What was the reason you chose the 195 vs the 180 hybrid for your gun/hunt? I'm currently on the fence contemplating these two Berger options.

Great hog! Thanks for sharing!

This is awesome information! I'm not shooting a 28 Nosler, but my 7mm SS should be able to get around your firearm's MV which gives me an idea of how that Berger will perform in my rifle on game down here.

What was the reason you chose the 195 vs the 180 hybrid for your gun/hunt? I'm currently on the fence contemplating these two Berger options.

Great hog! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks!
I felt the 195 gr. Berger is a game changer in the 7mm department. Run the down range numbers on it. And like the 180 gr. bullet, it 's ultra accurate. I plan to use it on this years fall black bear hunt. -It will be a hammergun)

-Mike

Thanks!
I felt the 195 gr. Berger is a game changer in the 7mm department. Run the down range numbers on it. And like the 180 gr. bullet, it 's ultra accurate. I plan to use it on this years fall black bear hunt. -It will be a hammergun)

-Mike

I've got a 9 twist, but will still try the big boys out for accuracy and if I can get them to hit like I want, I'll try them on some of the hogs in my backyard and post pics. I should be able to hit 2900' with them I think. Looking forward to hearing how your blackie hunt goes with them!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.