Some serious groundhog hunting going down.

Little teaser more to come much more.

Attachments

• gh.jpg
    gh.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 204
All recent photos within a month, one 640 acre field, 3 down shot from the farmers deer blind.Long shots 125 to 225 yards all DRT.

Attachments

• gh1.jpg
    gh1.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 199
  • gh2.jpg
    gh2.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 208
  • gh3.jpg
    gh3.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 204
All recent photos within a month, one 640 acre field, 3 down shot from the farmers deer blind.Long shots 125 to 225 yards all DRT.
I have a serious problem with ground hogs. They are digging underneath my shop concrete floor. I've put giant rocks by the opening and they move them, how do u catch them they seem to be very smart animals.

Watching one below lone tree against skyline 135 yards , beans all ate up .

Days end 8 total , I shoot off atv seat or tripod.

Attachments

• gh4.jpg
    gh4.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 191
  • gh5.jpg
    gh5.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 183
  • gh6.jpg
    gh6.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 189
  • gh7.jpg
    gh7.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 188
  • gh8.jpg
    gh8.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 194
Do you eat the younger ones or cut any for line bait, coyotes or catfish / turtles?

I've worked with a few guys here and there that wanted young ones to eat and there was a woman a few doors down that said her Mom made a real good oven baked groundhog. Her husband looked at me and rolled his eyes. Haha

I've never tried it.

Great shooting and great pictures. I hunted chucks for 50 + years with some breaks when I was in the Corps and living in HI.

Do a lot of the "new to the sport" chuck or PD hunters actually go out into the fields to pick up their kills? When we shot the chucks & PDs, we knew we hit them by the umph & impact especially through a scope shooting a .204! The bullet hit made the unmistakable sound and the chuck/PD dropped. When shooting slowed down in one field we went to another field for more chucks. Never wasted time driving or walking to pick up kills (once you walked/drove around you scared everything into their holes in that field) we just moved on. We knew what we got. I just may be old school .I may take a picture of a nice Buck, Bear, Moose, Elk, Turkey, Bobcat, and even a nice Coyote (maybe a hog or two if you never shot one or they are BIG they make great pictures & stories), but never took a picture blown/ripped in half/up PDs or chucks. I have taken pictures of squirrels and posted on this site, but they were Monkey & Fox Squirrels which most people have not ever seen in the US. Only post because these were for mounts and mount worthy - not damaged. I also have taken numerous pictures of the landscape/terrain of hunting or target shooting areas that I have been at.

By all means I am not knocking everyone that takes picture of chuck & PDs, even though it seems like I am. If it wasn't for pictures that are posted of Chuck & PDs a lot of hunters would never know what they look like or live vicariously through other hunters.

I really like ALL the stories on all these PD and Chuck hunts from this forum. You guys ROCK. Wish I was in your shoes at the hunts being described. Brings back a lot of memories

I got one for y'all. A chuck taken in NE PA. he was a Tri Color (grey, black, orange). Didn't take a picture -had him mounted! One of my best hunts with a man that was like my dad. Knew him for 54 years an had uncountable chuck, deer, moose hunts and countless fishing trips. No money or anything can compare with friendship hunting and fishing trips.

Attachments

• Wood Chuck Chuck.jpg
    Wood Chuck Chuck.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Chuck and Bob.jpg
    Chuck and Bob.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 181
Great shooting and great pictures. I hunted chucks for 50 + years with some breaks when I was in the Corps and living in HI.

Do a lot of the "new to the sport" chuck or PD hunters actually go out into the fields to pick up their kills? When we shot the chucks & PDs, we knew we hit them by the umph & impact especially through a scope shooting a .204! The bullet hit made the unmistakable sound and the chuck/PD dropped. When shooting slowed down in one field we went to another field for more chucks. Never wasted time driving or walking to pick up kills (once you walked/drove around you scared everything into their holes in that field) we just moved on. We knew what we got. I just may be old school .I may take a picture of a nice Buck, Bear, Moose, Elk, Turkey, Bobcat, and even a nice Coyote (maybe a hog or two if you never shot one or they are BIG they make great pictures & stories), but never took a picture blown/ripped in half/up PDs or chucks. I have taken pictures of squirrels and posted on this site, but they were Monkey & Fox Squirrels which most people have not ever seen in the US. Only post because these were for mounts and mount worthy - not damaged. I also have taken numerous pictures of the landscape/terrain of hunting or target shooting areas that I have been at.

By all means I am not knocking everyone that takes picture of chuck & PDs, even though it seems like I am. If it wasn't for pictures that are posted of Chuck & PDs a lot of hunters would never know what they look like or live vicariously through other hunters.

I really like ALL the stories on all these PD and Chuck hunts from this forum. You guys ROCK. Wish I was in your shoes at the hunts being described. Brings back a lot of memories

I got one for y'all. A chuck taken in NE PA. he was a Tri Color (grey, black, orange). Didn't take a picture -had him mounted! One of my best hunts with a man that was like my dad. Knew him for 54 years an had uncountable chuck, deer, moose hunts and countless fishing trips. No money or anything can compare with friendship hunting and fishing trips.
I don't retrieve my kills till I move on, all dead ones are tacked to trees behind my house, and quite a few coyotes get whacked , especially now.

Do you eat the younger ones or cut any for line bait, coyotes or catfish / turtles?

I've worked with a few guys here and there that wanted young ones to eat and there was a woman a few doors down that said her Mom made a real good oven baked groundhog. Her husband looked at me and rolled his eyes. Haha

I've never tried it.
Bait for coyotes .

I don't retrieve my kills till I move on, all dead ones are tacked to trees behind my house, and quite a few coyotes get whacked , especially now.
Great bait for yotes !!!!! A lot of the fields I have hunted we only stay on designated farmer roads, don't want to get stuck or **** the farmer off driving all through their fields and crops.
Thanks for sharing

Throat shot 112 yards, end of day pic not bad,best day so far 11, 3 not recovered 2 shot across Mohican river and 1 fell down a 4 foot stovepipe in ground but very dead. watching one at about 135 yards edge of bean field brown spot, 17 WSM at 75 yards nice entrance and exit, 25 grain. Big sow and baby shot together, at 145 yards. This one is the one that got closest to his hole before succumbing to a 17 WSM 20 grain in the back end ,as he was facing away from me with his big round butt. This is the only one I missed at 165 yards due to the wind,I compensated and dropped him right in his hole, with a hole in his head. I'm in love with the 17 WSM deadly out to 200 yards , plus.

Attachments

• gh9.jpg
    gh9.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 112
  • gh10.jpg
    gh10.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 120
  • gh11.jpg
    gh11.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 110
  • gh13.jpg
    gh13.jpg