So what are you guys running on your lightweight rifles?

Raven23TST,

I used a Swarovski z5 5-25X52 BT I ran it out to 600. During the two years I had it it went back for erector repair twice.

Any idea if your problem was recoil-induced? Or you think it was just a defective scope...

Heavy recoiling rifle with a muzzle brake. Or no muzzle brake. Some scopes are solid until mounted on a muzzle braked rifle.

Can't stand bdc reticles. Here's what I'm using for a lightweight rig. A factory 30-06 which isn't particularily light weight but after all the other longer range rigs, it just seems light. Have a picatinny rail, steel rings and a Leopold 3x9 VX2 on top. I took it out to just under 500 yds a couple months ago and was laying them in there about 1/2 moa on a paper plate shooting off my tailgate. The scope is about 12 oz. and yes I just unscrewed the cap, took a quarter out of my pocket and dialed up the elevation, counted the clicks and it worked fine. No parallax adjustment so I like my scope mounted just a little forward so I can center up the black ring to stay centered. With just a little more weight you can get a Leopold VXR with windplex (moa) and finger adjustable turrets. Personally though, the wind plex in moa hash tics seem a little to crowded and the reticle is thickish but that's just nit picking. I recently got a VXR 4x12x40/wind plex and it seems great but the reticle is a bit thick for guys who want all the precision their rifle can deliver. I wanted a heavier reticle for dark timber. For now I think I'll just stay with the plain jane vx2 and count clicks because it's such a trim rig. I figure if I have time to dial the elevation for a shot, I'll probably also have time to unscrew the turret cap and count clicks. There's actually a scale on the VX2's but it's so small I need a magnifying glass to read it but if your eyes are good, you can use that which would be faster.

Any idea if your problem was recoil-induced? Or you think it was just a defective scope...

Heavy recoiling rifle with a muzzle brake. Or no muzzle brake. Some scopes are solid until mounted on a muzzle braked rifle.

The rifle weighs 6 lb 13 oz with the z5. It has slightly less power than a . 257 Wea Mag with a brake. The load was an GSCustom 85 HV at 3,819 feet per second. For most folks it probably didn't need a brake.

I had a brand new Nikon Monarch 3 on the Kimber .308 I used last year. The weather was terrible but I went hunting anyway. I shot a deer and it started running toward me. I jacked out the spent shell and tried to run a new cartridge in. The controlled round feed jammed. While I was clearing the jam I inadvertently breathed on the ocular. Totally fogged it! It was so fogged there was no way I could discern anything through it. Fortunately I didn't need another shot. That was its first hunt.

I took it off and sold it. It was replaced with a Bushnell Elite. In a few days the weather was the same so I went hunting again. Intentionally breathed on the ocular. Right away it cleared itself. I have a very nice Weaver V24 6-24X42 I am going to sell now for that reason.

I agree that the factory turrets on the Swaro Z5 BRH reticle are non-functional for a long range hunter that twists the elevation turret to dial in the dope. It cost an extra $125 to correct that deficiency with aftermarket turrets.

Glass quality must indeed be subjective, because after purchasing a new Vortex Razor LH 3-5x42mm and comparing it to my Swaro Z5 last month, I found I preferred the Swaro Z5 over the Vortex. Enough so that I purchased a 2nd Swaro Z5 3-18.

Can you tell me who or where to get the aftermarket turrets for the Swaro you mentioned here? Do they also make them for the Z6? Thank you.

Just bought a Z5 5-25 BT for a mid weight 6.5X47. First Swarovski for me. Should be good for this gun; as shots will be no more than 5-600 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.