so how does antelope taste ?

Having grown up in NE Montana, we dined annually on Antelope, Mule Deer, Whitetails, and Elk. The family verdict was and is that Antelope were always superior. We never, ever had a bad one. Ditto my last Idaho animal.

The posts here all point out that immediate, cleanly skinning and cooling are critical. The hide of an antelope has a very distinctive aroma which does not translate well into the kitchen.

The only disadvantage is that there is so little of them, with most buck carcasses on the hook only coming in at about 65 lbs, so use every ounce possible, though we never include any amount of tallow.

Italian antelope sandwiches have become our favorite. Crock pot with italian seasoning, a couple cans of beer, a jar of pepper rings and water as needed all day.

BuffaloBob, this tames even the wildest sage fed lopes but is hard to cook in camp. It is a family favorite for us.

"How does antelope tasye?" It can be the best... or... it can be the worst. There is nothing better than an alpha fed doe goat, if you take good care of it. If you shoot a sage goat you will want to get a little creative with processing and cooking it. I have no problems with gamey meat. You can make spicy sausage and jerky out of it and it makes great chili, but it's good to make it spicey. Here in Montana it's not hard to find a rancher who will let you shoot does off their alphalpha fields and you can get some loooong shots doing that. On opening day I usually look for my buck on public or block management land. You can usually get one pretty quick, rarely longer than lunch time and then go find some alphalpha fed does in the afternoon.

I'll repeat.... there is nothing better than an alphapha fed doe goat. It's better than the best beef.:)

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.