Antelope tastes better in different regions??

Not to hijack this thread but I asked my wife a couple nights ago if she wanted some deer steaks and she replied yes, then ahe said, better yet, do we still have javelina, I said yes, and she said I'll have that instead and also some grilled ribs. She loves grilled javelina ribs and loins.

Yes, they are good eats too. Used to hunt them when I was at DMAFB (1992-96).

I hunt all my deer and antelope in NE Montana on my family farm. Everything feeds off wheat, pea and bean fields, they taste absolutely great! I've had sage Prairie antelope from WYO and they def taste "different" the biggest contribution to game flavor, is getting it cooled off and skinned asap. Sooner the better!

I think it has more to do with area/diet than north/south. My unit Arizona Antelope was delicious feeding with cattle, water tanks everywhere and green grass. My northern Nevada sage/ no green ag buck was just ok. Nothing some marinate didn't help however.

All the goats Ive shot have been taken in central Wyoming (Midwest and Pathfinder) They have all been taken off sage and guttless, boned and iced.
They have all tasted different and all stink going into the pan. The olady hates cooking it and I like eating it but lately we have ground it with bacon ends for the hamberger supply.......except for a few steaks I mark mule deer so momma dont slap me till it starts cooking.
Had a couple of does shot in the snow a few years ago, early morning opening day boned out on nice clean snow......the dog wouldnt eat them ???

All the goats Ive shot have been taken in central Wyoming (Midwest and Pathfinder) They have all been taken off sage and guttless, boned and iced.
They have all tasted different and all stink going into the pan. The olady hates cooking it and I like eating it but lately we have ground it with bacon ends for the hamberger supply.......except for a few steaks I mark mule deer so momma dont slap me till it starts cooking.
Had a couple of does shot in the snow a few years ago, early morning opening day boned out on nice clean snow......the dog wouldnt eat them ???
The one I shot was in Wyoming between
Riverton and Doubis was the worst tasting animal I have ever had the displeasure of cooking it was shot at the end of September one shot the goat didn't take a step gutted and iced not boned won't waste money on another tag now the elk well that has got to be the best eating ever

Sorry but I jumped from page one to page 5 to throw in my two cents.
I've shot most of my antelope in Montana (around 15), on a friend's ranch where they eat tender shoots of winter wheat and alfalfa. We normally drop them on the spot, skin them right away, and hang them a couple days before cutting and wrapping. Best meat ever.
But I have also killed goats in Arizona, Nevada, and Wyoming and they were all really good too, but you just can't beat the deer and goats we take off the ranch in MT.

I finally drew another AZ tag (with 20 points!) and will be hunting in early September. It's good country but the heat's going to be a challenge. I'll have to ice the quarters down right away.

Cheers,
Rex

I grew up eating TX whitetails. I got my first pronghorn last year in New Mexico near Clayton. The shot was early morning and I had him qtrd and on ice in 90 minutes. The meat definitely has an odor to it when handling/cooking, and it has a flavor to it as well. I don't think it's sage but it's something similar and I bet it is diet-related. I still enjoy it. For steaks, I marinate it in regular Allegro for no more than two hours and grill hot and fast to just over medium-rare. I've also made carne guisada with it and chicken-fried some. I hope to get another one in two weeks.

My 2 brothers shot antelope near Clayton ,those antelope did not taste anything like the one i shot last year on the graslands.Not even close.Any animal flavor can be directly affected by their diet, some fish also.

Took one in the panhandle of Oklahoma on a draw hunt. Lots of maize and milo fields in the area along with miles of sagebrush. Some of the best meat I've ever eaten. It was one of the most enjoyable hunts I've ever been on after years of sitting in tree stands for whitetails.

IMO, some people like the taste of antelope and some don't. It is a bit different, kinda a sweat undertone and tinder, cooked no more than medium rare. Also makes great stew. Love me some antelope neck roast!
Bottom line, like most say above, skin and cool quickly. Antelope also smell horrid in general, just keep the meat clean and uncontaminated by their hair. I like antelope more than venison.

Last edited:
IMO, some people like to the taste of antelope and some don't. It is a bit different, kinda a sweat undertone and tinder, cooked no more than medium rare. Also makes great stew. Love me some antelope neck roast!
Bottom line, like most say above, skin and cool quickly. Antelope also smell horrid in general, just keep the meat clean and uncontaminated by their hair. I like antelope more than venison.
I'm not so sure about the horrid smell ha ha!! After being present for at least 15 pronghorn taken a year for the last many years, I love the smell. I think it compliments the smell of sage quite nicely!!

Just went on a scouting trip a couple days ago for his buck tag, really got my jacked up for season!

IMO, some people like the taste of antelope and some don't. It is a bit different, kinda a sweat undertone and tinder, cooked no more than medium rare. Also makes great stew. Love me some antelope neck roast!
If you like Fritos and Cornuts, Antelope smell like it when you get to them after they're down. However, if you get them cooled down quickly, the meat is delicious.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.