• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Sitka vs. Kuiu please help

Looking at buying either Sitka or kuiu. I like them both which is better or Best Buy for the buck. Looking for warmer clothes for my October hunts in Colorado. Looking for advice in which one to buy. Pros and cons! Thanks for your help.

Scott

I'm assuming you hunt in PA. I do all my rifle and BP hunting PA and have both sitka and kuiu. Unless you are one of the PA hunters who is on the move all day, then the kuiu will require about 8 layers to stay warm and as sitka has more options to stay warm, I'd look at some of their warmer jackets. All I use sitka/kuiu for is archery hunting. When it comes to PA flint or 2nd week of buck season, they are not warm enough for me and I still hunt all day long.

I live and hunt at 9200 ft. in Colorado. You definitely need to layer. I really like the Kuiu base layers but the jackets and pants do not fit me like the Sitka. The best thing to do is go try on the Sitka and order some Kuiu. You can return any of them. I have ordered and returned Kuiu outer ware several times it just doesn't fit like Sitka.

I wear some of both and find that Sitka sizes are more 'true'. With Kuiu, I have to go up a size to get the same fit.

I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion of the group. I've used Kuiu & Sitka gear and I like Sitka a lot more. As others have mentioned, Kuiu sizing is a joke compared to nearly every other clothing line I have used. I'm not a "big" guy (I normally wear Large), but a Kuiu Large seems fitted for the shoulders of a teenage girl.

I much prefer the fit and durability of Sitka over the Kuiu that I've tried. The best advice I could offer is to try some Sitka at a nearby retailer and order a similar item from Kuiu to see which one appeals more to you. Both companies have their fans and detractors, so it comes down to personal preference.

At 6'5" 227, I qualify as a big guy...lol. I have very little body fat though.
I would have had to go to a XXXL in Kuiu to get it to fit, but as I said the earlier Canadian-made stuff fits great.
I use their XXL, and I can still layer with a Kuiu puffy if needed.

I went with kuiu. I started by buying one of the 1/4 zip heavy shirts and tried it out for a while. I liked the fit of it. At 6'3" and 190 lbs the xl fits nicely with room. I always seem to fall between sizes but so far all my kuiu gear has fit well. I wouldn't be opposed to trying more of the sitka gear, but I definitely don't regret buying kuiu.

Start off, I am 6'-0", 230-250 lb desk jockey. I own both. As mentioned above Kuiu is cut small, and their pants sizes stop at 40" waist. When I an closer to 230lbs the 40" attack pants fit "O.K."

I like the fact that all of the pockets on the Kuiu Attack pants have zippers. However, the Sitka pants have a few more pockets and they seem to be larger. Works better for me.

I like the Kuiu Verde camo pattern. Seems to blend well during early season here in KY, and in the timber in Colorado. But, the Sitka "mountain mimicry" patterns are also good for the oak woods here in KY. They may be discontinued, but, you can still find them online if you look. The Mountain Mimicry pattern would probably work well in the PA hardwoods also.

If I had to pick one, it would be Sitka. A combination of Ascent pants, plus 90% jacket and 90% pants. As mentioned above, will need to layer merino base to stay comfortable depending on conditions and activity level.

JMO... YMMV...

I'm going with the attack pants and guide jacket for now if I like them I will order more. I really appreciate all the info from everyone. That's what I like about this site.

Scott

I hunt Colorado in late Oct and November and have the Guide pants and Jacket and live in them the entire time. If it gets warm you can unzip the side panels and pockets and air moves through them very well. When you zip them up they are very comfortable in the cold. Most comfortable hunting clothes I own. The pants are like having a comfortable pair of sweats.

Their sizing can be disastrous.

Ordered 38" alpine, measured 40. But I've read these are the only pants that run big.

Ordered teeton shirt xl, I look like I should be at a rave. Sending it back for a 2xl. BUT the half zip xl fits perfect. Go figure.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I do not agree with the KUIU size system is "too small." I run nothing but KUIU. Love it. Phenomenal stuff. However while I agree it seems there stuff runs small for larger guys, It does NOT Fit the "shoulders of a teenage girls." "Or seems to be cut for girls" Im 25 years old 5' 8" 133lbs and an athletic build. For a female I have fairly broad shoulders. However, I can tell you while the medium guide jacket, is not HUGE on me, but by no means is it like wow that fits you well. I have guide pants in size 32 because I have never been able to find them in 30s. Needless to say I have A LOT of room to layer and thus my scrawny butt is always warm:). In my opinion KUIU needs to make size small jackets and 28-30 sized pants in everything. :rolleyes::D Never have tried sitka, and never will. I can't afford it. I buy all my KUIU during the few sales every year. For this kid if i ever try anything different it'll be UA. That being said all the guys I know switched to KUIU from SITKA and they all say they'll never go back. All of us girls are about in the same boat other than we are like we need a smaller size selection not just M-XXXL!!!

I own both an I like Sitka especially the core stuff I feel is much more wind resistant. Both are good but like my Sitka stuff better.