Single Stage and Two Stage Triggers?

To me a good 2 stage(like an Anschutz) is another world better than single stage triggers(like Jewel). More travel, more adjustability, break point setting, shoe options, angle adjustments.. It all adds up to very comfortable trigger squeeze.
With Jewels, I mutate into more of a pull than squeeze.

I like both, but 2 stage is as good in every way, plus better in many.
Unfortunately, few actions have hangers for 2 stage.

Mikecr, just curious as to what the pull weight is on your jewell/s. Set really light there shouldn't be alot of pulling.

Probably 2 to 5oz
This is fine & what I'm used to.
But the lack of travel is not good for a trigger squeezer like myself.

Such short travel causes me to poke at it -exactly when on target.
Afterall, if I touch it I'm committed, and there is no follow through.

It's hard for me to explain.
I like Jewels, and can think of nothing wrong with them.
But shooting good is so much easier(for me) with an Anschutz 5018.
Of course, it would be impossible for me to ever use a factory trigger again.

If you are acclimated to using single stage striggers, getting used to a two stage trigger takes a little time, but can be done. You will soon feel the proper amount of "free travel". For target work, a two stage is ideal. I have had military hunting rifles, with two stage triggers, and they can be a PIA.

One caveat: I have Jewel triggers set at 2 oz. on several competition rifles. They should never be set this low on a hunting rifle; very dangerous.

Mikecr, thanks for the response. Having no experience with a one stage, I couldn't say one's better than the other. I was just wondering if maybe you had the pull set up pretty high...for me that would PIA too, but I do think I know what you mean.

Gene, excellent point, IMHO I won't hunt with anything less than 1.5 pound pull and at that I'm careful.

I'll chime in, here, and agree with Chas1. If you can't hit with your hunting rifles' trigger set at 1 1/2lb. it's, most likly, not the trigger. To another point not mentioned so far; besides pull weight, there is sear engagement and over travel to be adjusted. I am a firm believer in having a gage of some sort when adjusting a trigger. I went ahead and bought a set of NRA certified weights and a Lyman electronic gage. I checked the Lyman against the weights (from as low as the weights will go to their max 4lbs., the instructions that came w/ the weights say the rod weighs 1/2lb.) and they agree so I feel I have a standard to go by. Too many triggers get adjusted by 'guess work'. I have a couple (w/Jewells) set at 1 1/2lb. and have had some say "What's that set on, 6oz.? To the point of the OP, I guess it all depends on what you get used to, a single stage or two stage trigger. just my 2 cents

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.